Water shut off handle leaking when open

Old 11-06-12, 06:41 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water shut off handle leaking when open

HI:

I have three zones of heat from my Burnham RS 109 oil burner. When I open the water line by turning the handle...a small persistent drip/drop leaks comes from directly under the handle where it meets the assembly? Not sure why it was closed but it was and it was not allowing the heat to flow to the upstairs. So I turned it to open.

How can I keep the water line open while not having the leak from the handle? I tried to tighten the handle but that seems ineffective? Is the handle in need of replacement?

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-06-12, 03:27 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Tighten the "packing nut" under the handwheel slightly. Anywhere from an eighth of a turn to as much as a full turn might be required but just enough to stop the drip or the valve will be difficult to open and close.

Old 11-08-12, 12:14 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Furd! Your fix was right on time. I look forward to being a member of the forum here...LOTS OF KNOWLEDGE! I must say, I was a bit intimidated to post as I had a feeling it would be something simple and I would look like a knucklehead! HAHAHa But hey...it's only pride after all.

I am hopeful that I can return the favor and help someone else out on here soon. If anyone needs to know the proper way to field strip an M60...I am your guy!

Old 11-08-12, 12:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
>

Most SMART repairman always hope for repairs that will be simple.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: