YORK Diamond 80 = 7 red flashes

Old 11-06-12, 02:48 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
YORK Diamond 80 = 7 red flashes

Hello,
I have a YORK Diamond 80 furnace. The Control Board was just replaced by a PRO. Latelly I noticed that the unit after a certain time is no longer blowing heat. The blower works OK but blows cold. I also replaced the thermostat. The unit is in the atic. I went and checked: the thermostat kicks in, the ignitor turns red, ignites the gas but then after 30-40 seconds the gas is shutdown. The blower continues but blows cold air. Unit will continue operating like this. Sometimes the unit works OK all day and evening, but toward wee hours 3-4 AM, starts blowing cold air. The code is 7 red flashes which is IGNITOR LOCKOUT DUE TO RETRIES. What needs to be done please? I am tired of calling a PRO as each time is at least $400.00. Any hints or advise = highly appreciated!

Old 11-06-12, 03:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Could well be a flame sensor that needs to be cleaned.

Look for the flame sensor on the side of the furnace opposite the hot surface ignitor. It's a round rod sticking up into the burner flame with a single wire coming out the bottom and going to the circuit board.

Remove the screw that holds the flame sensor in place. Use a piece of fine sandpaper to lightly clean off the invisibe oxides that can coat the flame sensor and prevent it from detecting that the burner is lit.

Reinstall the flame sensor and give it a try.

Old 11-06-12, 03:14 PM
T
Thank you SeattlePioneer. I will do that. If I recall, when the control board was replaced about 2 weeks ago and I sat there watching the guy doing it, I saw doing something similar to what you indicated. Not sure if this is what he cleaned with some small sand paper.

Old 11-06-12, 05:55 PM
The flame sensor was presumably cleaned by that repairman, then. If that's the case, cleaning it again is unlikely to do any good.

What problem were you having that caused the repairman to replace the circuit board?

Old 11-06-12, 07:01 PM
T
I cleaned the flame sensor again. Then I started it and worked fine one cycle with full flames till it got to the temperature set in the thermostat. Once it shotdown, the hot air did not return, and the blower keeps on going shooting cold air.

The circuit board was replaced "because it was not working the heating part".
The AC was OK during the summer, but once the cold set in I was not getting the hot air. The PRO said that the part of the board that directs the heating part is deffect so the entire board had to be replaced. It worked OK for about 2 weeks. Ah and by the way I was charged $400.00 for a board that costs about $50.00 wholesale and $99.00 retail on Internet. Just do not want to go that route again...What else can I do please?

Old 11-06-12, 08:32 PM
Unfortunately, the comments you attribute to the repairman are too vague to be of any help in identifying why the board was changed out.

Are you ONLY getting the seven flash diagnostic code? I would expect that to happen only after the furnace burner has shut off repeatedly. I would expect a different diagnostic code when the burner shuts off early the first time, or perhaps the first several times.

Turn off the power to the furnace for thirty seconds, which resets the control module. Turn the power back on and turn the thermostat up. See if the burner shuts off and if you get a different diagnostic code.

Also, do you have a digital multimeter and understand how to use it? You will probably need a DMM that reads down to on microamp or less, which is 1/1,000,000 amp.

Old 11-07-12, 07:21 AM
T
I am sorry but this is what I was told...and sincerelly I believed I got screwed. Regardless of my experience with in-house repairmans...I do not have any other symptoms and the 7 red flashes are there once the flames are out - yes you are correct. If I am in the attic and with unit shutdown and ask somebody to increase the thermostat to 80, the unit will start OK and flames will come up and stay untill set temperature will be reached. After the unit shutsdown and comes back again, will shot cold air as the flames will not stay lit. Does the Flame Sensor needs to be replaced from time to time? This is a 12 year old unit...!!! No digital multimeter.

Old 11-07-12, 08:57 AM
The flame sensor is just a piece of metal that sits in the flames. It's unlikely to be a problem, although checking that the wire back to the circuit board isn't deteriorated and is connected properly would be worthwhile.

The circuit board usually applies a 24 VAC voltage to the flame sensor when the thermostat is calling for heat. When the burner flames strike the flame sensor, a small DC current flows from the flame sensor to chassis ground, and it is that current that is detected by the circuit board when it is working properly.

What you should do next is to use a voltmeter to see if you have that 25VAC being applied to the flame sensor connection.

Also ---- a reputable furnace repair company usually guarantees their parts, often for a year. If the new circuit board has failed, which can happen, perhaps they will replace it at no charge for you.

Old 11-08-12, 06:36 AM
T
It looks like the Flame Sensor was the problem. I took it out again cleaned it seriously and then put back. It works. Thank you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: