York GY9S-UP - Another Pressure Switch Stuck Open Error

Old 11-08-12, 10:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York GY9S-UP - Another Pressure Switch Stuck Open Error

Hi all,

A friend of mine has a York High Efficiency (92% AFUE) gas furnace. Its control board is flashing 3 red lights. I saw on the panel it meant that the pressure switch is stuck open. I removed the hose going to it and took my Fluke to it and confirmed that it reads open in one direction and closed in another.

I pulled all of the small rubber hoses I could find from around the inducer and blew them all out and none had significant water or debris.

I pulled the hot surface igniter and it did not appear to be cracked.

I pulled the flame sensor and it is just a straight stick and not L-shaped... but otherwise looked normal.

When I press in the door switch to start up the furnace, the inducer spins but I never see the igniter glow. I have yet to determine if ignition is actually taking place, but I doubt it. I am assuming I should be able to see the igniter glow through the plastic window?? Don't see anything.

The inducer eventually stops spinning.

The unit is at least 6-7 years old. Should I replace the igniter anyway? Could the igniter being dead cause the pressure-open error?

Is it more likely that the inducer is bad?

Any pointers would be great.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-12, 10:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When the thermostat calls for heat the circuit board checks to see that the pressure switch is open.

The circuit board turns on power to the inducer motor and when it comes up to speed the pressure switch should close.

If the pressure switch is open, you should have 24 VAC to one connection on the pressure switch and 0 VAC on the other connection.

If the pressure switch is closed, you should have 24 VAC on both pressure switch connections.

Describe in detail what happens when you turn up the thermostat to call for heat.

Old 11-18-12, 08:59 PM
I took the inducer motor assembly out and found that the internal fan parts were completely shattered. The motor worked but wasn't spinning anything. Ordered a new inducer assembly for $130 and all is good.

If only you could buy just the plastics and not the motor for much less.. but simple enough anyway.

Old 11-18-12, 09:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Buy the whole inducer motor assembly. It's usually difficult to impossible to get the old fan off the fan shaft.

Replacing the whole assembly makes the task an easy one.