How to plug propane heater vent after removal.

Old 11-12-12, 02:33 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to plug propane heater vent after removal.

I have a VERY old WARM MORNING propane heater that I want to take out of the house. My problem is that I don't know what to do with the vent hole. It is vented out the back of the stove straight into and up the chimney for the old fireplace. How do I cap off the vent in a way that another propane heater could be put back in here at some other time? Is it as simple as getting a cap that fits the pipe? what about wind/breezes coming down the chimney & seeping in around the cap? Thanks.

Old 11-12-12, 02:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Can you post a pix or two showing your set up. There may be an easy way to do it, but we can't see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 11-12-12, 03:22 PM
P
Ok, if this doesn't show up right, hopefully copying and pasting will work for you... DSC01437.jpg photo by prittyhandychic | Photobucket

AND, if anyone knows how to help me move this post I'd appreciate it. I JUST realized there is a specific section for this question(fireplaces, heating stoves, flues & chimney's)-I missed that before.

Old 11-12-12, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,146 Upvotes on 3,723 Posts
For some reason it wouldn't load for me so I grabbed it and posted it for you.

Attached Images  
Old 11-12-12, 03:53 PM
Group Moderator
You should be able to use a galvanized chimney cap/plug in the required size.

Attached Images  
Old 11-12-12, 03:57 PM
P
Thanks for posting the image...I don't know what I was doing wrong.

What about air leakage? Do I need to put some sort of sealer around it? If so what kind? Or could I cut styrophone or batting insulation & stuff in the hole?

Thanks!

Old 11-12-12, 07:07 PM
P
And when I say stuffing styrofoam(not styrophone, LOL) or batt insulation into the hole...I mean before I cap it off, not just that and no cap. Would that just be overkill? My main concern is drafts. Thanks!

Old 11-12-12, 07:37 PM
Group Moderator
No need to put anything into the flue. I would just use some silicone (true silicone-not the water based stuff) around the edges before putting the cap into place.

Old 11-13-12, 08:40 AM
P
Thank you so much! I'm so excited to reclaim some of my living room space. It almost seems too easy, I wonder what will go wrong now?

Old 11-13-12, 09:04 AM
Group Moderator
Watch out for squirrels

Old 12-13-12, 12:38 PM
P
Update

UPDATE: In my last post I posed the question "I wonder what will go wrong now" b/c it just seemed too easy. Well, the stove came out easily & what I was worried about capping off came right out with the stove(it was about 8" of stove pipe). It turns out that behind the stove is an actual fireplace 1/2 full of bird poop & nesting material. There was just a piece of thick sheet metal with a hole in it for the stove vent that is blocking the fireplace opening.

What started as a simple removal of the stove(because someone gave us a big screen TV & that just seemed the best place to put it) turned into a month-long remodel of the fireplace area(including the rental of a demo-hammer, that was fun, leveling old concrete, tiling old hearth level with the floor, and tiling a piece of durarock to fit into the place that the sheet metal came out of). There was actually much more involved than just this but you get the picture!

Thanks to everyone for your help & suggestions!!! HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Old 12-14-12, 12:17 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the update.......always interesting to hear the outcomes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: