8184 and 7184 controllers

Old 11-13-12, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
8184 and 7184 controllers

I put a new burner unit in our Lennox MD 023Q2-70-1a oil furnace. The new unit has a R7184B primary controller and the old burner had a R8184. The old controller had three wires into it (common, 24 volt, WI) and the new controller only has the two marked T-T. I am confused on how to wire this new controller and even if it is doable. The new burner unit does have a valve on the pump. Any help would be great.Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-12, 04:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've worked on burners for 25+ years with the R8184 primary & have never seen one with the terminals marked like yours. There is a letter & a 4 digit number after the R8184. Knowing that information may help.

Old 11-14-12, 10:25 AM
My bad. The markings are off the circuit board (48k98 REV 0707AE 0352BCFG) leading to the controller. I don't have old controller at the moment but the controller was R8184 M 1002. I believe it was hooked up to r,w,and c. The two wires from the tstat went to the circuit board, no wire was ran for the fan, then three went to controller. Really hope this helps. Thanks.

Old 11-14-12, 01:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you don't have air conditioning on the furnace, just hook up the red & white wires to terminals T & T.

Old 11-19-12, 10:30 AM
I tried the red and white{red marked 24 volt and white marked WI) from circuit board to T and T and burner would run but blower not kick on until it overheated, then blower would run until it kicked off and burner would start up again, I ran blue and white fron circuit board (blue marked "c") to controller and ran good but would not turn off. I tried running straight from tstat to controller and ran good but did not turn off and this bypasses Hi Heat limit i think. Sorry this furnace is our retirement fixer up and only get to on weekends. Thanks.Also ran new tstat wire so I could run the fan fron tstat but it did not run on at tstat and red and white hooked up from circuit board to primary controller.Thanks again.

Old 11-19-12, 11:37 AM
Received 22 Votes on 18 Posts
I'd asked about a R7184B in a similar situation without much luck.
I'm sure that all you need to do is pull a new thermostat wire set and make the connections. Duh.

But, here's what I found for my system.

WIRES
The R7184B (my version) has terminals for 4 wires, #1 #2 #3/T and T
The 3-wire EnviraCom system connects to the top three (#1 #2 #3)
OR
a standard 2-wire thermostat connects to the bottom two (#3/T and T)
BUT
I could not find any factory documentation regarding terminals #1 and #2
and whether they corresponded to the common thermostat connections Yellow / Green.

THERMOSTAT, BURNER CONTROLLER, CIRCULATION CONTROLLER
My system is set up so that the RTH221B thermostat controls the R7184B burner controller,
and the R7184B Burner then controls a Zettler circulation controller for the fan.
(The Zettler has terminals for the standard thermostat wires RWYGB

In my setup, the R7184B is hooked to an intermediary circulation controller,
you might have something similar?

Last edited by Hal_S; 11-19-12 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-20-12, 10:38 AM
my controll only has two terminals T and T, I'm starting to think I might be better off splicing the old controll back in but not sure about the fuel valve on new burner unit, the old one did not have one.