Part Identification Assistance needed +... Trane A/C & Heating Unit

Old 11-13-12, 10:30 AM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Part Identification Assistance needed +... Trane A/C & Heating Unit

OK - first-timer and posting on behalf of my non-Internet savvy neighbor:
He has a (written down by him, so let me know if I need to go over and get the numbers myself):
Trane XL1100
Model #: YCX030F1M0BA
Serial #: L0261D21H
Date of Mfr: 01/96
Electrical Rating: 208-230-60-1
It's an all-in-one, electric A/C, Natural Gas heat, outside unit.

He called a service individual who, after 10 minutes, quoted him $400 in labor (2.5 hours) and said the part was under warranty. Turns out - in the 10 minutes I spent looking at it - the original issue was a $6 switch (2 in the package, so 3 bucks). I do extensive electrical work in my day-to-day job, not specifically HVAC stuff, but I know my way around the stuff. Now, of course, once I put the switch in, it was time to see what affected the switch in the first place...

Seems the part that pulls the heat inside (there's 3 pipe openings at the bottom and three at the top (top hve 'baffles' inside them to slow down the air circulation) - these you can see - as the pipes loop around in a "C" formation" - the loop is inside the unit and not visible) is all clogged with rust/build-up/'insulation' pieces etc. and is decreasing the air flow. We blew some of it out with an air compressor, but not enough to get it running safely (the fire just hangs out), risk blowing the switch again, or to significantly increase the air flow. I would attempt to say the part was like a "heat exchanger", but I'm not getting anything close on google searches and I can't find a schematic for even a similar unit.

SO:
1) Does anyone know what the part is called?
2) What are the chances of getting the part and putting it in myself? (Part Number, Distributor info , if possible)
3) Assuming it can't be "gotten" and installed without severely messing up the warranty - which is what the service person told the neighbor he had, unverified - what is a reasonable charge for the part and installation by a typical installer? Location: Rocky Mount, NC 27803

Let me know if this should be posted elsewhere or if I'm barking up the wrong tree. I need a pretty quick response because it's getting colder out...

Last edited by xstaceyamayx; 11-13-12 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-13-12, 04:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
From your description, it sounds like the heat exchanger which may, or may not, still be under warranty. I suggest you check with a Trane dealer regarding warranty. Some gas pack heat exchangers can be replaced in a couple of hours while others can be a job which takes the best part of a day.

Old 11-13-12, 10:43 PM
X
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I'll pass the information on... From what I've been able to find out, the part - if we bought it and did it ourselves - is quite pricey - so I'm going to advise him to take advantage of the warranty (if it's truly available - no telling what the other guy was talking about, because my neighbor said he didn't even look at the "exchanger" portion of the unit), give him a list of American Standard endorsed service folks (per website), and be around for interpretation when the next service man comes around.

Old 11-14-12, 01:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
You might try using a shop vac, but you really need to run a brush thru the tubes. That is difficult because there are usually sections of the tubes crimped to slow down the flow of hot exhaust gas & thus increase efficiency.

Old 11-14-12, 03:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would strongly recommend against DIY replacement of heat exchangers. Pretty much the whole furnace needs to be disassembled to do that, and worse yet, it has to be reassembled from a lot of pieces, and done correctly.

Old 11-14-12, 05:52 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts

Is this what you are talking about? If so, call a professional!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: