Gas furnace will not light

Old 11-15-12, 03:06 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas furnace will not light

I have an older train XL90 gas furnace that will not light. The furnace cycles but will not light. A meter shoes no voltage to the igniter. The blower starts, about 30 seconds later the gas valve opens but the igniter does not glow. if I manually light the furnace it runs till the thermostat shuts it off, but when there is a call for heat it cycles again but no power to the igniter.
Anyone have any ideas?

Old 11-15-12, 04:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Very likely the ignitor is burned out and needs to be replaced. Usually if that's the case you will observe a crack outlined with a whitish powder.

If so, buy two and keep one as a spare.

You can also check to verify that the ignitor is being supplied by 120 VAC power. If it is and it's not heating up, replace the ignitor. If the voltage isn't being switched on you may have a bad circuit board, but it would take some additional diagnosis to be sure.

But it's a 95% probability to be a bad ignitor.

Old 11-15-12, 04:17 PM
K
Thanks for the tip. I replaced the igniter being careful not to touch it with my hand or fingers. While I had it unplugged I put a volt meter on it and got zero volts. When all was replaced i turned on the power and it cycled through blower and gas valve but still no glow. Is there a way to trouble shoot the board?

Old 11-15-12, 06:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You put a voltmeter on what, when?

Old 11-15-12, 06:21 PM
K
On the two leads to the igniter I keep it there till it had run through the cycle. It never showed any movement.

Old 11-15-12, 07:27 PM
B
probably has a bad White Rodgers ignition control

50-E47 Correct?

Old 11-15-12, 07:47 PM
K
Not sure of the number. I'll have to look and see. The controller will be a lot less than replacing the main board. I'll be able to check it out Saturday. I'll get back once I find the model.
Thanks for the help its only a few connections. I can handle that. I can just change one one lead at a time. I'll let you know how I make out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: