Rybolt Furnace continuously kicking on & off

Old 01-29-01, 12:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Thanks for the responses to my first post. Here is the info I should have included in it. The furnace is a Rybolt, gas, air forced, located in the basement on concrete floor, indoors.
Checked the Tstat, seems to be fine.
As I stated in my last post, the problem is that the furnace will kick on and run for a few minutes, kick off then restart after about 30 seconds.
Also another question I would like to ask is: This furnace is belt driven. I read a post where you can adjust the speed of your blower motor. Is it possible on this one?
Seems that the air isn't flowing as strongly as it should be.
I also would like to know about vents. I have 2 regular floor vents. The rest are a type of vent that is long and narrow that fits snugly against the mop boards. Not much heat comes through them. I don't think these are as effective as the floor vents. Should they be changed over?
Thanks for any info you can give.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-01, 09:52 AM
lynn comstock
Visiting Guest
As I stated in my last post, the problem is that the furnace will kick on and run for a few minutes, kick off then restart after about 30 seconds.
Rapid cooling of the thermostat would cause this.
a) A cold draft may come down the wall and cool it from behind. The wires come through a hole in the wall that should be sealed. (Soft foam insulation is a good choice.)
b) The area itself may cool rapidly due to very cold weather, poor insulation, door use, or some other cooling effect.
Also another question I would like to ask is: This furnace is belt driven. I read a post where you can adjust the speed of your blower motor. Is it possible on this one?
Seems that the air isn't flowing as strongly as it should be.
a) Check the filter first.
b) Yes the speed can be adjusted with a larger diameter motor pulley. It takes an ammeter (tool) to do this to maximize the motor capabilities without exceeding them. This is a job for a pro.

I also would like to know about vents. I have 2 regular floor vents. The rest are a type of vent that is long and narrow that fits snugly against the mop boards. Not much heat comes through them. I don't think these are as effective as the floor vents. Should they be changed over?
a) This is probably a design issue. More air will come out where the friction is less. If the grilles have dampers or shutters you can experiment to restrict the air to the 2 floor grilles to see if that will shift air significantly to the baseboard grilles. If the change is not impressive, the design is flawed and correction is a matter for a ductwork pro if you can find one. It isn't the grilles. (Unless they were shut.) It is the ductwork that feeds the grilles.

Old 02-02-01, 05:20 PM
PDF
Visiting Guest
First

How old is system?How old is belt?A new belt will cost you about 6 bucks from an auto supply house.A service call will be about 50.Make sure filter is clean.If the system has some age on it make sure you check the drive and driven pulleys.With power off,remove belt,take you finger,run it inside the pulley groove.If you feel a groove the pulley should be replaced.Your system was designed and engineered with the installed pulleys.If all I recommended proves to be okay you will have to look elsewhere in your system for problems as LYNN described.PDF