Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

URGENT _ help needed with conflicting information about cracked heat exchange.

Old 11-20-12, 08:23 AM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I had a heating company come down to do an annual tuneup. The tech told me he looked inside and found two rings cracked from the heat exchange. He took a picture and showed me what he saw. I am attaching that photo.

http://thesouthbendscoop.com/rings.JPG

I then called my home warranty company. They sent another company down, local guy who is licensed, insured. He spent an hour taking apart the furnace in the attic and told me " i took off the high limit and physically looked at the heat exchange. I see no cracks, deformities or missing rings, so I am not sure what the other guy found."

I didn't have the photo at the time to show him, but I got it and emailed it to him waiting to hear back. Obviously this is a huge safety issue with a potential CO leak. Can someone take a look at the photo and tell me what they think? how could the second guy have taken apart the furnace and come to the conclusion that nothing is cracked or broken?

Old 11-20-12, 03:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
It looks like a crack but it would be easier to see if the light was inside of the furnace and shining through the crack. It almost looks like someone drew this with a pencil (without a 3D view its harder to see)

Removing the blower assembly and holding a drop light inside of the furnace would be a better way to prove this.

You could also have the drop light inside of the discharge air side if you have a section of duct between the furnace and cooling coil.

Old 11-20-12, 08:12 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
It looks like there might be some loose rings there, but not sure. The picture shows the limit hold, but I can't make much out beyond that. If a ring is missing then the heat exchanger is FAILED. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Most (not ALL) heat exchanger failures don't present imminent danger. But all defects must be taken seriously.

In fact, the AGA (American Gas Association) states: "Any visible crack or hole discovered in this step is reason for requiring replacement of the heat exchanger or furnace." Entire AGA document

The second guy may not have known what to look for. Unfortunately you NEVER know what caliber of a technician you are getting in northern Indiana. There is no state or local board that you must pass to service heating equipment; there is a county exam for installing equipment in your area.

What is the make and model of your furnace?

Old 11-20-12, 08:18 PM
It looks like a crack but it would be easier to see if the light was inside of the furnace and shining through the crack. It almost looks like someone drew this with a pencil (without a 3D view its harder to see)
I'm not sure what you are calling a crack. The pic looks to me like a limit hole with the gas line and part of the gas valve on the left side of the pic.

Old 11-21-12, 04:23 AM
Y
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks for the reply. I have very little knowledge of heating systems but he told me "look through the hole, you can see two metal rings that look like key chain rings. As you can see, they have fallen off the exchanger and are laying on a cell"

is that what we are seeing there?

Its a Janitrol gmp075-3

After he left I called american home shield, my warranty company. They send one of their contractors down, who is licensed according to his website. He and a tech spent an hour in my attic. When he came down he said 'well, i have no idea what that other guy saw. I took off the high limit and stuck my head in there. I saw no cracks, no missing rings no deformities, nothing wrong with the heat exchangers at all"

Old 11-21-12, 06:47 AM
I do believe there are 2 rings that you can visually see through the hole. Your furnace is known to have rings fall off the heat exchanger just ike that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: