Burners will not stay lit

Old 11-27-12, 08:31 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Burners will not stay lit

Had a professional come out last week because our ignitor to the furnace was cracked. While he was here he also cleaned the flame sensor and brushed out the furnace and cleaned the burners.

The problem that I am still having (same problem as last year) is that when the exterior cover is on the furnace the first burner will ignite then shut off immediately. If I decide to remove the cover, all three burners will ignite right away and the house will warm up. I have checked the red and yellow light inside the furnace to see if either of them are blinking and they both stay solid.

My fear is if I continue to leave the cover to the furnace off, I will start a fire, which of course I do not want to happen. Is there a possible solution as to why the burners will not work unless the cover is off?

My furnace is a frigidaire model: ??

Its roughly 10 years old.

I did find the model # for the exterior cover if it needs to be replaced: 712108A

Thanks

Old 11-27-12, 09:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The furnace model number will be found on the rating plate in the burner compartment of the furnace. That would be helpful to understand what might be happening.

Your repairman sounds like he did a good job for you. Did he check on this issue for you? Cleaning the burners would be a good place to start to solve that issue, which he did for you.

If only the first burner lights, the flame sensor on the opposite side of the furnace wont be engulfed in flames, and the burners will shut off. So while cleaning the flame sensor is good general maintenance, that's unlikely to solve this particular problem.

Old 11-28-12, 12:40 PM
W
Burners will not stay lit

if your burners are Piezo fired (create spark), remove the covers and see that they are NOT rusted or dirty. If so, a simple scrapping of the dirt might be holding back the spark that lights tyhe burners.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: