Furnace stopped over night

Old 11-27-12, 07:55 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Furnace stopped over night

Hello everyone, I thought I would post here as it may be something really simple before I bring someone in to take a look at the furnace.

Last night for some reason my furnace just stopped working, I thought it was a little cold when I woke up but didn't think too much of it. However tonight when I came home I defiantly took notice as it's 60F inside.

I moved into this place in July, I have had the furnace running off and on for the past month or so - I like to keep it around 66-68F. The make/model is Lennox G1203-823 - I want to also note that I have hot water and my dryer also heats up. Also I turned the fan on the thermostat from "Auto" to "On" and the fan/blower kicked right on - wish it was blowing warm air!

I thought it might be something as simple as a pilot light, however when I took the cover off the furnace I quickly came to realize that it looks nothing like my previous furnace and I have no idea how to light it - or if the pilot is even on. I took two pictures, let me know if better ones are needed.

So I guess I have two questions (1.) Does this sound like a simple pilot light is out? and (2.) If so, where do I light the darn thing/where is it?

Old 11-27-12, 09:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Your furnace does use a conventional standing pilot light to light the gas burners.

In your pictures, the copper tubing coming from the top of the electric gas valve leads to the thermocouple in the pilot burner assembly.

The aluminum tubing coming out of the right hand side of the electric gas valve provides the gas supply to the pilot burner.

The galvanized sheet metal shield above the burners can be easily removed to provide a view of the burners and pilot burner. I'd guess that you will find that the pilot burner is out.

If so, you will need to light the pilot burner again. To do that examine the gray valve on top of the electric gas valve. This will typically have three positions, off, pilot and on.

You will probably find it in the on position.

Turn the gas valve to the pilot position. Push down on the grey valve, which resets the automatic shutoff and allows gas to flow to the pilot burner only. While holding that control down, use a match to light the pilot burner. Continue to hold the valve down for 60 seconds, which allows the thermocuple to heat up and energize a magnet in the gas valve which hold the gas valve open when you release the gray knob.

If the pilot burner stays lit, turn the thermostat down. Turn the gas valve knob to the on position.

What does the pilot flame look like? Does it look like a small blow torch, or does it have yellow tips and have a soft flame that blows around like a candle flame?

Replace the sheet metal shield.

Turn the thermostat up. The furnace should be back in service.

Old 11-28-12, 03:58 PM
A
Thank you for the response. I just want to make sure that I'm looking at the right things you are mentioning.

The red box = the plate I have to take off?

And is the pilot I have to light the green box or the blue?

--Update--

I took off the plate with a butter knife (no standard screw driver that I could find), turned the furnace off at the thermostat along with turned the thermostat all the way down to the lowest setting. I then turned the knob to pilot and put the flame near both the green and blue box and nothing happened - does the furnace at the thermostat need to be turned on? If not what could I be doing wrong? I have lit the pilot at my old place several times without issue.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Aqualoon; 11-28-12 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-28-12, 04:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, the red box is the plate you want to remove, which should be easy to do. It might require removing a screw or two.

>

The thermocouple generates a small voltage directly from the heat of the pilot flame. That voltage energizes a magnet which holds a safety valve open. If the pilot goes out, the voltage is no longer produced and the safety valve snaps shut, turning off the gas.

You need to push down on the knob, which opens that safety valve again and allows gas to flow to the pilot burner. If you let go of the knob, it just closes again. After you light the pilot burner, it take 30 - 60 seconds for the thermocouple to heat up and hold the safety valve open when you release it.

Don't forget to observe what the pilot flame looks like! The most common reason for pilot outages is a dirty pilot burner which needs to be cleaned.

Old 11-28-12, 05:50 PM
A
Thank you a thousand times over! I had to push down more then I thought (could actually hear a click when pushing down) and now my furnace is up and running and more importantly I know how to do it for next time!

Thank you again, really, I know it was something simple but I really do appreciate it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: