Trion HE electronic air cleaner unrealiable air sensor

Old 12-02-12, 10:22 AM
Trion HE electronic air cleaner unrealiable air sensor

I've had a HE series electronic air cleaner in my forced air system for about 3 years now and most the time it doesn't work. The problem is the automatic Air Flow Sensor that switches on the power supply. This little circuit is supposed (I guess) to make installation easy because there's no need to wire the unit to the furnace blower controls. Last year I looked into the problem and cleaned the sensor & repositioned it and it worked fine for about a month, then back to mostly off.
I want to wire this unit in the conventional way--to the blower terminals on the furnace control board. Last year I thought I found online the option on how to do this but now I can't find it.
I'm hoping someone with experience with this unit can clue me in to how this is done. The manual doesn't mentioin it and there's no schematic in the manual or online that I have found.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-12, 10:41 AM
Fix for unreliable Trion HE2000

In the hope of helping out the next guy Googling for expert help with this problem I have the fix. Remove the Air Flow Sensor board. That's all. Without it the circuit will be ON constantly so it should then be powered from the EAC terminals on the furnace control board. The unit will now power up when the blower starts.
Some units were built with the AFS on the main circuit board so those have a jumper to disable the sensor control.

That's the word from a mfr. tech and I did it last night. My EAC now works--and even better I'm confident it will STILL be working a month from now. Never could count on that in the past...