Honeywell ignition wiring

Old 12-03-12, 07:57 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Honeywell ignition wiring

I have a tankless style heating/hot water furnace with hot water baseboard heat. I had a problem where the burner was not turning on when the thermostat was turned up or there was a call for hot water..The red reset button was not tripping or locked out but I found out that by just gently tapping the ignition box (Honeywell 4184) it would come on until the water temp reached the maximum of 185 which it was set for. It would not come on again until I tapped it again (only when it needed to come on).I figured that maybe the relay in there was not fully closing unless it received a gentle tap to close.I replaced the ignition control with a new Honeywell 8184 which appears to be the replacement for the 4184. The only difference is that the new ignition has the thermostat connections on the the ignition box itself. Before they were attached to the actual aqua stat control.If I attach the thermostat to the ignition switch, the furnace runs and heats the baseboards throughout the house, but I get no hot water at the faucets. If I connect the thermostat to the aqua stat, then I get hot water at the faucets, but no baseboard heat.I put a jumper wire between the ignition switch and the aqua stat thermostat connections and I get both hot water and baseboard heat, but the furnace comes on and is sending heat through the baseboard even though I have the thermostat turned all the way down. It's about 80 degrees in the house and the thermostat is set for 60 degrees. I changed the thermostat because the old one was probably 30 years old or more and figured it couldn't hurt and it still does the same thing.Any ideas?

Old 12-04-12, 07:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Connect the thermostat wires to the aquastat & install a jumper between terminals T/T on the R8184. That should take care of your problem.

Old 12-06-12, 12:48 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yeah, that makes sense...Thank you, seems like it is working properly now.

Old 12-06-12, 06:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
You're welcome. That was an easy one. I'm surprised those instructions were not in the paper work which comes with the control. Stay warm.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: