Trane will not stay running.

Old 12-05-12, 11:13 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane will not stay running.

OK I'll start out by saying I like your site and I'm a die hard DIYer. Grew up on a dairy farm so DIY was/is a way of life. I have found info on your site helpfull.

I have been fighting with my trane 80 with a white rodgers gas valve(GV) for a couple years now on an itermitent problem that is getting more pronounced now. Basically what happens when call for heat the draft fan comes on then the glow element then the burner lights (sometimes) some times it doesn't light. If it doen't light a little wiggle of the solenoid one the gas valve and it will come on. After it comes on sometimes it runs normal sometimes it will run for any length of time 1, 2, 5, 10 minutes (not set pattern) then it will click off. If I sit with my head close the the GV when this happens I can sometimes hear the solenoind clicking rappidly and hear the flame in the burner stumbling before it stops. I don't think it is a stuck gas valve because if that were the case after the burner started it would stay on because the solenoid would keep it in place. Now my question is if the solenoid is getting bad would it act this way?

Thanks
John

Old 12-05-12, 11:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'd use a multimeter to measure the voltage to determine where and when reliable power is being lost. That might prove that the gas valve is getting power reliably but is not staying on properly, that the circuit board is energized but not turning on the ingitor or gas valve reliably, that the pressure switch isn't staying closed reliably, or even that the thermostat isn't stay closed reliably.

It sounds like you have done a good job of observing and listening, but you need to do a good job of measuring voltages to see what's happening.

For example the erratic operation of the gas valve solenoid might be an unreliable supply of power, a bad electrical connection or something else.

Old 12-05-12, 11:43 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes my plan for tonight is to hook up my DVOM at the connection on the GV and see what the voltage is doing if the voltage stays within spec then I will assume the solenoid in the GV is bad.

I know the solenoid runs on 24 volts but does anyone have min max for supply volt specs.

Old 12-05-12, 12:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Anything much below 24 VAC would be grounds for concern.

Usually you'll get a reading of 24-26 volts or so.

Old 12-06-12, 03:19 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
When the burners go out check the LED diagnostic light viewable through the blower door window. Your description sounds like a pressure switch/ venting problem to me. Rapid clicking of the gas valve is usually a direct result of the pressure barely making.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: