Need feedback on a York Gas fired furnace

Old 12-05-12, 08:48 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need feedback on a York Gas fired furnace

I have been troubleshooting some issues with my 16 year old York Gas inducted air furnace. A couple of weeks ago when the weather starting getting cooler in TN and we started to turn on the heat, my York furnace would only work sporadically. After diagnosing the issue further, the Fasco inducer motor had gone out on it. I ordered a new motor and replaced it. Now when I turn on the heater the new Fasco inducer blower motor will start up and run but the unit will only fire when the weather is warmer outside.

If it is a sunny day or the temperatures are nice outside then the unit will turn on and work. When it starts getting cooler at night the inducer motor will turn on and run, but the unit will not fire up. This evening when I came home from work I turned it on and the unit produced heat but later on in the evening it would not heat anymore.

Any ideas as to what this could be or what I could troubleshoot further to find the root cause of the problem?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Old 12-05-12, 09:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I take it that the inducer motor is now starting reliably every time and staying on as long as the thermostat is calling for heat, is that correct? That's what it is supposed to do.

>

Your comments here are vague.

If the inducer motor starts and comes up to speed, the next thing you should see is the hot surface ignitor get white hot. It should do that each time the thermostat calls for heat. Is that happening reliably? If not, what?

Old 12-05-12, 10:02 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sorry about being to vague. Let me provide additional details.

I just went out and watched the sequence again. With the cover off the inducer motor comes on, the ignitor starts glowing an orange color, I wouldn't say it was white and then it fired up. It ran for a couple of minutes and then it went out.

Does this sound like the flame sensor might need to have the carbon deposits cleaned off of it? I'll try that tomorrow. Any other things that I should check?

During the process the main board has a green light that is pulsing bright and dim which I believe means that it isn't registering a problem.

Old 12-05-12, 11:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
>

As long as it lights the gas reliably, it's fine.

>

Usually there's an index describing the various diagnostic codes on the inside of the fan compartment door. Check to be sure what the code is indicating. And check to see if the code changes after the burners shut off after those couple of minutes.

A bad flame sensor would typically shut the gas off after 3-5 seconds, so that's not likely to be the problem.

A likely cause of the burner shutting off is that the pressure switch might be opening. Use a multimeter to see if the pressure switch is opening and the burner is shutting off at the same time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: