Blower Motor heating up and smelling burned

Old 12-08-12, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Blower Motor heating up and smelling burned

I just had my AC/Gas Furnace system replaced after 20 years (outside compressor was shot). When the installation guys were dragging away the old unit I asked them to pull the furnace's blower motor so I could use it to circulate air in my crawlspace.

I cleaned a fair amount of the 20 years worth of dust that got through the filters and then secured it in a boxed frame and wired it up to a plug (white to white, black to black for high speed or red to black for low speed, and both browns to the capacitor). Everything was wonderful, and after a few minutes I left the room. When I returned about 15 minutes later the motor was quite hot and the room smelled as though there was something burning. The motor continued to plug away fine though.

The best I can guess is that when the unit was moved and the blower assembly was jostled around a bunch of times a bunch of dirt and dust got into the motor and that's what's burning. A visual inspection with a flashlight confirms that there's tons of dust still on the coils but it looks well packed on after years of use.

Is my hunch correct? Is this just a dirty motor that needs cleaning? If so, how should I clean it? And if not, what else could be the problem?

Thanks,
michael

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-12, 11:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
I doubt you would be smelling dirt in the motor.

Those are multi-tap multi speed motors.

You can't combine any of the different speeds. The two browns are usually on the capacitor.

What are the other colors you have ?

Old 12-09-12, 11:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Blower motors are designed to operate with a static pressure.
Partially blocking the discharge air opening is a way to compensate for this.

Old 12-09-12, 12:01 PM
I've got Red, Blue, Black, White, Brown and Brown wires. First time I wired it up I connected white to white, black to red (for low speed) and both browns to capacitor. Then I wired it white to white, black to black (for high speed) and both browns to capacitor. Didn't bother trying black to blue for med speed), but black was clearly high and red was low speeds. I just taped up the unused wires each time. The motor spins freely and the capacitor does not heat up, but the motor sure does.

How would I clean out the motor? Just blow it with compressed air?

And how do I figure out it needs oil and how to lube it if it does?

michael

Old 12-09-12, 07:54 PM
Group Moderator
You can try lubing it but you may not find any accessible place to put the oil.
Blowing it out with compressed air is ok.
Sounds like you are wiring it correctly.

One possible issue is that you aren't getting enough air thru the motor for cooling.

Old 12-10-12, 05:27 AM
This may be a no-brainer for some of you, but can someone give me a quick tutorial on how to lubricate a blower motor?

And are there other (better) ways to clean a dusty motor other than using compressed air?

Thanks,
michael

Old 12-10-12, 08:11 AM
Group Moderator
Those motors are considered sealed. Non lubricatable.

So you have to look where the shaft enters the motor. Might be tough to find. There will be a location at each end of the motor.