Can't find capacitor or way into blower chamber

Old 12-10-12, 02:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't find capacitor or way into blower chamber

Hello all,

I think my heater recently got loaded down with a dirty filter. The blower motor will now start sometimes, and sometimes it won't. When it doesn't, I smell burning in the rooms near it. If I kill the power to it and let it set it'll start after a while but just once or twice. The ground wire was pretty charred, too. I re-stripped it and reattached it to a new bolt that was well grounded.

I figured I'd replace the capacitor, but I can't seem to find it! There is the motor, control board, a box the romex runs into from the outside, pressure switch (looks like a saucer), things like that but no capacitor.

So I figured I'd look inside the blower chamber, but I can't seem to find a way in! I feel pretty dumb, but the sides wrap 270 degrees around in one seemingly continuous sheet of ducting. Going in through the front is pretty tough because of all the stuff (vent, motor, gas lines). I could take the ducts off the top, but that seems like a pretty big step for something that should be easy...?

It's an old Quatro heater with a Magnatex (sp?) motor. I'm wondering if this is just a really bad design where you can't access the guts very well or maybe I'm just missing something. Maybe its a no cap motor?

Thanks for any help, it's cold out!

Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-12, 03:20 AM
Well to answer my own question (sorta), I was able to access the capacitor through the front just by removing a ton of panels and the control panel. I'm amazed at how far away it is from the motor. It must be a belt drive because the squirrel cage is way higher than the motor.

Anyway, I was just wondering now are the capacitor terminals the same? I can't see any distinct markings. I do see a small 'A' on the capacitor but I'm not even sure if that relates to the terminal?

Old 12-10-12, 03:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
The capacitor is AC.....there is no polarity.

Old 12-10-12, 03:48 AM
Ah! Perfect. Thank you. I really hope this is it.

Old 12-10-12, 12:32 PM
Well I replaced the cap this morning and no luck. In fact it seems MORE reluctant to start now. Maybe just the cold? The fact that the ground from the motor was fried makes me think its not the cap at all but rather just an old, tired motor that died.

Unfortunately it's located behind gas lines, the chimney and some other stuff. Pretty tough heater to work on. Sigh.

Old 12-10-12, 03:18 PM
pictures of this amazing installation ?