Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

Goodman GMH8 - how to use multiple fan speeds? Also what is Goodman Dual$aver?

Old 12-10-12, 11:28 AM

I have a Goodman GMH80603AN that states it has 4 fan speeds and I would like to run at a low fan speed in fan-only/fan-on mode and then have run at higher fan speeds when there's a call for heat. Is this possible? My thermostat is a RiteTemp 8022C with a fan switch for Auto or On that I like to leave On all the time in the winter to help circulate the air. Is there a way to have the fan run on low when the tstat is set to On then kick up when there's a call for heat? Is this something that's controlled by the furnace or the tstat? Do I need to upgrade the tstat to find one that controls fan speed?

Finally, I'm looking for more info than I find on Goodman's site that describes how their 2-stage Dual$aver mode actually works. If my tstat is a single stage and the Goodman product specs (PDF) states "Note: This furnace is designed to be used with a single-stage room thermostat" then how does the furnace work in two stages? Don't I need a 2-stage tstat for this work properly?

Last edited by calanan; 12-10-12 at 11:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-12, 02:13 PM
The staging is handled by the circuit board in that furnace.

When set up to do so, the furnace should run on low for the first 1-12 minutes of the cycle (depending on the length of the previous cycles) and switch to high until the t-stat is satisfied. I think the factory setting is single stage.

There's an easy way to tell if it was set up as two stage:
Turn up the heat so that it runs continuously for a while; if the fan speed doesn't increase after 12 minutes or less of heating, you'll have to change a setting on the circuit board.

The gmh is not a true two stage furnace which can cycle between low and high to maintain the setpoint, but it's still better than a single stage furnace.

The continuous fan speed should be the same as the low heat speed.

Old 12-13-12, 08:46 AM
Thanks so much, Muggle, I appreciate it!