Almost

Old 12-11-12, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Almost

My furnace was doing the 7 red blink for ignition lockout due to retries or something like that and wouldnt stay lit.. I followed the instructions on the panel and the first time I did it it worked fine but apparently after it got warm an turned off it wouldn't start again. Now when I reset everything an turn it back on I get the green normal operation.. But then it tries to light three times and shuts off without igniting. It works here and there but we need it to work continuously withou having to worry about it

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-12, 02:35 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
Please post the manufacturer and model number of your furnace.

Old 12-11-12, 02:39 PM
Luxaire model number GM8S080A12UH11A

Old 12-11-12, 04:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Take the cover off the burner compartment of the furnace. Describe in detail the sequence of events which takes place when you turn up the thermostat.

Old 12-11-12, 10:59 PM
Well I got it to work again but for how long I don't know. And like I said... Majority of the time I reset everything then turn the gas on, flip the breaker on and turn the heat up 20-30 . Then I go to the furnace and the .. Ignitor. Glows white And the 4 flames shoot out.. Then the flames stop and the ignitor fades. Then the ignitor goes white again and the flames shoot out for about 3 seconds , die and the ignitor fades. This happens a third and final time and then turns right off except it seems for the air flow. When I can get it working I can usually get it on the first or second flare up.. And I don't know if it's actually helping at all or is just coincidence but it keeps on sometimes when we blow into the four flames?

Old 12-12-12, 12:06 AM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
Sounds like a flame sensor issue. I do not know about your particular furnace but most will have a "flame rod" on the end opposite the hot surface ignitor. This flame rod needs to be engulfed by the flame of the burner. The flame rod can develop oxides over the course of time that insulates it (electrically) from the circuit that is completed by the flame. When that happens the flames will usually stay on for only a few seconds before going out.

Cleaning of the flame rod is routine maintenance and it can be done by carefully removing the flame rod and holder, usually one screw holds it in place, and polishing the rod with a Scotchbrite pad. Many people use a piece of sandpaper, emery cloth or steel wool but the Scotchbrite pad is preferable as the others leave deep scratches in the rod and will actually cause it to fail sooner.

You also need to check that the wiring from the flame rod to the circuit board is clean and tight. It is a tiny current that flows and any corrosion can keep it from operating properly.

Old 12-12-12, 12:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, from the last description it sounds like cleaning the flame sensor would be the place to start.

Also, a good example of how describing the SEQUENCE OF EVENTS is a huge help in providing guidance as to what may bhe wrong with a furnace!

The initial post is a useless jumble. But describing what happens step by step provides a lot more information about what is happening.

You are also describing to us the kind of furnace you have and it's ignition system, and telling us about yourself and your ability to follow directions and to be a good observer of what is happening!

Old 12-12-12, 04:59 PM
Sometimes the flame can come off (pull away) from the last burner causing you to lose your ground when the flame is trying to rectify. Gas should not surge when the unit lights.

Either your circuit board is having issues trying to rectify, or your losing the flame signal / flame is pulling away from the burner when it's trying to rectify?

You need to check the ground path from where the last burner is sitting, to the manifold green ground wire, all the way back to the circuit board and make sure it's all tight.

When you're blowing on the flame, you're moving the signal to a different position where it's making the ground path.

Remember, the DC signal comes up through the flame sensor, passes through the gas flame to the burner ground, then it rectify s once the signal passes. So the gas flame is actually carrying the current through. If you take a pair of speaker wires and stick them in a gas flame, it will start playing music. lol

I see all good advise on this thread...

Last edited by boilernut; 12-12-12 at 06:41 PM.