Trane XE 90 blower motor not starting

Old 12-16-12, 06:39 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Trane XE 90 blower motor not starting

The blower fan is making the buzzing sound and is barely moving. At one point in the rotation is looks like it spins slightly faster but then slows again.

The cap is a GE 10uf and I removed it, ensured it was discharged and I was getting 8.5uf, far from the 06% tolerance listed.

My question is, are these symptoms of a cap or possibly a motor? I figure I will start with the cap but I'm curious if a cap showing 8.5 would turn the motor slower than normal before it starts or just not turn it...I don't know how low the value needs to be before it just won't spin the motor at all.

I also checked the voltage coming from the control box and I have 122V on all the leads. The only one I didn't have voltage on was the CIRC position if I remember correctly, this is in heat mode.

Old 12-16-12, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Does it spin freely with no power ?

If it does then there is a good chance that a new cap will take care of that.

Old 12-16-12, 07:04 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
sounds like a weak capacitor, which are cheap.... I would start there. However, the damage may have already been done to the windings (doubtful) so be aware that you may still need a new motor.

Old 12-16-12, 07:17 PM
I
Spins very freely when not powered, when powered there is resistance if I try to help it.

There are no noises when I spin it except right near where it stops...almost sounds like a nylon bushing noise but no grinding or scraping.

Old 12-16-12, 07:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
For the price of a capacitor, it's certainly worth a try. If the problem turns out to be the motor it might use the same cap. If not, you're only out less than $10.

Old 12-18-12, 07:42 PM
I
We tried a new cap and it acted the same but with more of a slight kick to start but wouldn't keep turning...appears to be a bad winding. The owner is taking it to a motor shop in the AM to ensure it's faulty and see if they can match up a motor if needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: