Furnace lockout will not reset - Heil SP80

Old 12-18-12, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace lockout will not reset - Heil SP80

Furnace serviceman diagnosed furnace to need a new control board. I found an exact match on EBAY and installed new board matching wire for wire. After installation, blower still runs constantly, even without thermostat attached to wall. My nephew, who is an HVAC professional told me to check out the rollout switchs and the hi limit switch. I metered the continuity of these items and they all buzzed the meter. I'm lost now. Could it be that more than one roll out switch is bad? Maybe i got a bad board? Or is there something else that could keep the blower fan engaged? The power switch at the furnace in the attic has been on off for more than a hour - so as I understand it the lockout status should have been cleared (?).

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-12, 03:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Take the cover off the burner compartment of the furnace.

Describe in detail the sequence of events which occur when you turn the thermostat up.

What was the problem that caused you to call a repairman?

Old 12-18-12, 04:09 PM
Problem solved. The continuity test did not diagnose the problem. At the advice of my nephew I jumped the wires to the roll out switch. The first switch I tried, at the top of the burner rack turned out to be the culprit. On a side note - the serviceman had apparently misdiagnosed the problem - and since he had pulled off one of the wires on the transformer, I believe, to prevent the blower fan from running continuously, I believe that his intent was to sell me a new unit, come hell or high water. His charge was $625 to replace the control board. I bought the exact board on Ebay for $50. When the board did not fix the problem I was crushed. Then I called my nephew and he immediately diagnosed the constantly running blower fan as a safety switch issue and urged me to completely test the roll out switches. He says any HVAC repairman would have recognized the situation as a roll out switch problem, rather than a control board. And the serviceman bragged about how the BBB had his company rated at the top of the heap. What a load of crap. Sometimes being at the top of the BBB list means it's easier for you to rip of your clientele. I think I'll request of refund of the service call fee.

Old 12-18-12, 04:22 PM
Sorry for the incomplete situation. Originally the furnace would not come on when thermostat was set to heat. So I called the service man. At the time the blower motor was not running continuously, the furnace was simply not working. When the serviceman was in the attic he said two or three times that he thought it was the control board and I wasn't going to like it because it was an expensive repair and the attic unit was old and iit was going to nickle and dime me to death. Finally I broke down and asked the price and he told me about $650 to install a new circuit board. So it would be better for me in the long run to just go ahead and install a Goodman attic unit for $6500 or an American Standard for $8200. Of course there was no guarantee that the attic ducting could hold up to the change out, and it might be another $3500 if the ducting needed to be replaced. I understand that the roll out switch is about $7.00 to an HVAC man, so I think he was hiking the repair just a bit. After he left, I checked the control board area and found that he had pulled off a transformer wire in order to prevent the blower from running continously, and therefore I suspect that he knew what the true diagnosis was ( a roll out switch). I guess there's just not enough honest business to support some people in an honorable way.