warm downstairs, cold upstairs

Old 12-19-12, 05:21 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
warm downstairs, cold upstairs

We got a Goodman gas furnace, and it seems to heat pretty good downstairs, but the temperature always gets lower on the 2nd floor. The thermostat is installed downstairs. Would it help moving the thermostat upstairs and what else can we do to improve this ?

Old 12-19-12, 08:10 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

What kind of airflow do you have on the second floor? This is not the typical heating complaint when airflow is adequate, usually the second floor is too warm due to hot air rising.

Old 12-19-12, 10:58 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thats what I was thinking. Hot air rises, but here it seem to stay on the first floor. What do you mean by what kind of airflow I got ?

The air comes into each room separately upstairs through "holes" in the floor/wall. One in each room except the hallway between. There are stairs leading down from the hallway to the living room where there are more 'holes'. No doors between first floor and second floor.

Old 12-19-12, 11:24 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It sounds like it might be a return air/circulation problem with possibly not enough insulation inthe second floor ceilings.

Where the the return ducts and intakes? If air is not returned to the air handler/furnace it limits the amount of circulation to force uniform temperatures.

It would be good to list the part of the world (climate, etc.) the home is located in.

My problem is keeping the lower level warm in a cold MN winter with and a wide open stairway and my only solution is to run the variable speed fan 24/7 all winter. The lower level is always cool in the summer with the AC running, but that is not done 24/7 in the summer because of the need for maximum dehumidification. - Thank God for massive walls and relatively uniform conditions for maximum comfort.

Dick

Old 12-19-12, 11:26 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Cold rooms are always a duct issue. Your HVAC company should have done a heat load on the home first. This would have alerted him to these issues

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: