Day and Night Heater won't start

Old 12-20-12, 10:56 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Day and Night Heater won't start

I have been having problems with my heater for some time now. I know it is not the thermostat because the A/C works but not the heater. What happens when I set it on is I hear a tick sound then a thunk. As of late it won't even make the tick sound. I assume the tick sound is for the ignitor for the burner. I know that I am going to have to replace at least one part so I was hoping that I could get some direction as to which part or parts I need to buy. Thanks

Old 12-21-12, 02:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,967 Votes on 2,677 Posts
I know it is not the thermostat because the A/C works but not the heater.
I wouldn't make that assumption. The heat output is different from the A/C output.

You need to check for 24 VAC on pins 2 and 5 of ignition module.

Link for module to follow.

http://www.icmcontrols.com/ProdImages/ig_LIAF125.pdf

Old 12-21-12, 12:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Use a piece of wire to connect the R an W Terminals. That bypasses the thermostat.

The pilot burner should then light, and after a couple of minutes the main burners should ignite.

What is happens when you bypass the thermostat as described?

Old 12-21-12, 02:29 PM
S
it works sometimes

I am not sure if I mentioned this or not but it will work 1 out of 20 times. Its intermittent. When it does work, it works fine (doesn't shutoff early or anything like that) but when it reaches the thermostat level and turns off. Then it is a gamble whether or not it will work again when the temperature drops. should I still check the voltage as you suggested?

Old 12-21-12, 02:36 PM
S
what do you mean by R and W terminals? sorry I am a computer guy so this is a bit out of my realm. I am not sure if you mean Red and White? or what. Thanks

Old 12-21-12, 02:54 PM
S
So i used my simple voltage test and connected the red pin to W and the black pin to R and even switched it and nothing happened. I also when ahead and disconnect the connector to the ignition pin and put the rd in the 2 and the black in the 5 and nothing happened even switched them up and still nothing. Am I doing something wrong or is this thing seriously busted? Thanks

Old 12-22-12, 07:57 PM
M
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
look at the ignition module on the face of the heat exchanger. Notice there is a molex plug with several wires. Unplug from the module and with the thermostat calling for heat, take a volt reading between the blue wire and ground. You should show 24 volts, now open thermostat and taking the same reads, the voltage should be zero. If it show 24 volts with the thermostat calling for heat and there is no spark the module needs to be replaced.

Old 12-26-12, 09:00 AM
S
I did what you said but in the process i sparked the edge of the board and now it doesn't really do anything. When I slide the thermostat all the way down and back up i hear a tick but it no longer makes that clunking sound. Did I blow the control board and break a fuse?

Old 12-26-12, 10:01 AM
M
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The board is for blower control, the module is for ignition, I don't know where you did what?

Old 12-26-12, 10:49 AM
S
I connected the W and R terminals. I didnt have a wire so i used a bobby pin. in the process i nic the area on the board that is near the terminal. I have noticed that before it would make a clunking sound after a tick. Now it does pretty much nothing. If i slide the thermostat back and forth, I hear a tick but no clunk.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: