Trane XE70 Electronic Ignition not lighting

Old 12-22-12, 03:36 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane XE70 Electronic Ignition not lighting

Hi,

I'm still checking around to see what other information I can find on this, but I'm hoping to get some input here. My first thought had been that it was the electronic ignition, because there is a click, and I can hear (and smell) the natural gas come in for a couple seconds... then it goes off because it doesn't light. Nothing glows there to light it. I found a replacement gas valve if that's it... GSV36E8632. But it seems more likely to be the ignition control... IGM50E47A. Or, the Honeywell limit control... because wires from each of them appear to run to the electronic ignition element. However, I read in a post from a few years ago that an inducer motor should kick on before the furnace lights, and I don't hear anything like a motor or fan running. The replacement parts I priced are a couple hundred or more each, so I'm hoping to be able to narrow it down before I spend that kind of money.

Thanks in advance for any help on this...

Old 12-22-12, 06:23 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
You do not have an inducer on that furnace. It is roughly 70% efficient. I would first remove the ignitor (since you don't see it glow) and see if it is cracked. This is most likely your cause of failure. From there let us know what you find.

Old 12-22-12, 07:42 PM
Received 50 Votes on 44 Posts
...checking the resistance of the igniter works too.

Your furnace definitely has hot surface ignition (according to the model number of the ignition control) - BestBuyHeatingAndAirConditioning.com Hot Surface Ignition Control Module.(Amana, Goodman, Trane, White Rodgers, York)

Changing out parts until it works is a very expensive way to fix a furnace.

Old 12-24-12, 02:01 PM
G
The model #TUS100B948A0

I was quoted a price of about $130 for an ignitor for this unit (I thought it would be around $25)... and the quoted one doesn't look at all like the old one. I uploaded the pics. Is the picture of the "old ignitor" that I took a picture of (smaller one below), not really the ignitor... am I looking at the wrong thing?

Thanks in advance for any help on this...

Attached Images   
Old 12-24-12, 07:00 PM
Received 50 Votes on 44 Posts
Your "old igniter" is a thermal fuse.

I think $150 is very reasonable for an igniter replacement and service call. A service call + diagnoses alone could cost $70-100+ and technicians don't replace parts for free.

Your furnace is at least 20 years old (<78% efficient furnaces were outlawed in 1992, yours is probably in the 60-70% range) so getting it looked at isn't a bad idea.

Old 12-24-12, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,965 Votes on 2,675 Posts
The picture (top one) you have of the ignitor is the correct one.

www.1hvacpartsonline.com - American Standard Trane Ignitor IGN00023

Old 12-25-12, 08:22 AM
J
Igniter

That bottom picture looks like a flame role-out fuse. The igniter would be in that area, but you have to take out some screws to get to the igniter. The main picture you have is the igniter. It should have 2 wires. Turn all power off to furnace when replacing igniter.

JimmyA

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: