Olsen HTL-100C Air Circ Fan Takes Too Long to Come On After Burner Ignites

Old 12-24-12, 01:35 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Olsen HTL-100C Air Circ Fan Takes Too Long to Come On After Burner Ignites

Olsen HTL-100C high boy oil fired furnace, 9 years old. Air circulation fan doesn't kick on until 3.5 minutes after the burner flame ignites, resulting in lots of wasted heat up the flue. Instruction manual says the delay should be 30 seconds, 60 at most. I don't remember if the delay was this long when the furnace was brand new, but for the past few years it has been.

I removed and inspected the Honeywell L6064A1003B fan control. It looks brand new; no soot or debris on the helical coil whatsoever, but the dial seems to stick and jump a little bit instead of turning perfectly smoothly. Would a high temperature lubricant on the helical coil be of any help? The factory settings were: On 130F, Off 100F. I moved them to: On 110F, Off 85F, but that only reduced the delay by 15 seconds (now 3.25 minutes). This doesn't seem right. Has anybody else had this problem?

Also, while I'm at it, the Beckett AF65XN burner on this furnace makes a loud sort of whining noise when it first comes on, before the flame ignites. Not a screeching sound like a bad bearing, just a rather high-pitched whine. It goes away after a minute or so. The company says the blower motor is permanently lubricated. There are no oil cups.

Thank you.

Old 12-24-12, 03:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,977 Votes on 2,686 Posts
So this is an oil fired furnace.

If it's taking longer for the heat exchanger to heat up than it used to it would most likely mean it's carboned up and needs a good cleaning.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: