gas valve orientation

Old 12-27-12, 04:01 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
gas valve orientation

Hello,

I am having an issue with a repair on my gas furnace (Lennox p/n G16Q3X-50-5). I am replacing the original non-functional gas valve (p/n 18G8801) with a new replacement valve (p/n 41K3501).
The issue that I am having is that the new valve does not fit completely inside of the furnace. The front of the new valve is a bit too bulky and would stick out around a half an inch too far for the front cover of the furnace to fit back on. Is there a specific orientation that the valve must be installed in? (i.e. dial facing straight out) Or can I rotate the valve around the burner connection threads so that the bulky knob on the valve is pointing more up or down? Oriented in this manor the front cover would fit on the furnace fine but I'm not sure if the valve was designed to operate when oriented this way.

I have seen this new valve listed as the direct replacement for the older valve at numerous locations so in different furnaces there may not be a fitment issue.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-12, 02:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A new valve should come with the manufacturer's installation directions, which should include the various ways the gas valve can be installed physically.

If you don't have that, Google or post the make and model of the gas valve. The installation standards are probably available on line.

Old 12-31-12, 09:33 AM
J
The new valve is a Honeywell 41K3501 (or VR8204H1048). I did not have any luck finding installation instructions online but maybe someone else will have better luck or knows where I can find them.
It looks like most of the new valves out there have a bigger, more bulky gas control knob sticking out of the front so my furnace can't be the only one with fitment issues installing with the knob facing straight out. I've just never seen any installed with the knob facing up.

Thanks

Old 12-31-12, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Is this the valve? I would say to keep it vertical as in the pic. Otherwise if you turn it sediment can effect the solenoid operation/ or damage the valve.

Old 12-31-12, 12:38 PM
The installation manual for your gas valve is at

http://s3.pexsupply.com/manuals/1249...stallation.pdf

I didn't see any limitations on tyhe physical orientation of the gas valve, althoughn you should read through the instructions yourself and be sure to follow them.

Frankly, installing a gas valve is not a suitable do it yourself task, in my opinion. As you can see from reading the manual there are a lot of issues that should be considered and done properly, and the DIYer isn't likely to appreciate what needs to be done.

Old 12-31-12, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Page #6 says can mount 0 - 90 degrees. .........................

Old 12-31-12, 05:40 PM
Hello Lawrosa,

Thanks for pointing that out. Usually there are limitations, but I missed seeing them.

From Jeb's comment, it sounds like the original gas valve had the control knob pointed out towards the compartment cover. The new gas valve would block the cover for the burner compartment in that position.

My interpretation of Jeb's comments are that he would like to rotate the gas valve so that the knob faces up, rather than out. The installation manual says that is acceptable.

That's my interpretation, anyway.

Old 01-02-13, 01:47 AM
J
Yes, your interpretation is correct. I would like to install the valve with the knob facing up as in the picture below. That does look like the valve that I have.
Thanks very much for finding the installation instructions. I'll look them over thoroughly before I decide to start anything.

Old 01-02-13, 12:51 PM
Having the knob point up rather than out should be fine as I interpret the instructions.