York Furnace runs 5 minutes, shuts off, LED flashed 8 times

Old 12-29-12, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York Furnace runs 5 minutes, shuts off, LED flashed 8 times

My York Diamond 90 Gas furnace will run for 2-5 minutes when the combustion box starts to shake like a dog passing a peach pit, retry 5 times and then go into error mode and the red LED flashes 8 times. I read around online the flame sensor is usually the culprit, so I cleaned that. No fix.

I lost the web page, but I saw on a York manual that 8 flashes code means there's low gas pressure or bad gas valve.
The previous homeowner had a switch installed next to the furnace (not sure if this is standard).
2 wires (Yellow and Black) coming out of the gas valve.
I flip the switch on and the Yellow to Ground voltage is 0.45-0.5V. Coil comes on, gas ignites at the same time the Yel-Gnd goes to 0.0V.

An aside I guess, there is a 2" PVC pipe that comes out of the combustion box which also shakes when the gas is burning. It's been snowy outside for the past week, and I can only tell that this pipe goes out under my deck (since it leads that way from the basement and the deck around there is wet and not covered with 18" of snow).

Attached Images  

Last edited by MarkFpt; 12-29-12 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-12, 01:49 PM
Ok, coincidentally my father in law had a HVAC service man over at his place and I got on the phone with him. He said to try taking the combustion Air Intake pipe flange (the 2" PVC pipe coming out of the top of the combustion box) and prop it up/by pass it. It's been running for 10 minutes continuously now.

You'll be able to find me out in the snow shoveling and crawling under my deck to clean out the line.

Old 12-29-12, 02:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, if snow is impairing air flow into the furnace, the pressure switch will prevent the burners from operating.

If you are lucky, that will be the cause of the problem.

Old 12-29-12, 02:27 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
My York Diamond 90 Gas furnace will run for 2-5 minutes ... I read around online the flame sensor is usually the culprit...
You either misread the website or the author was seriously mistaken. Flame sensor problems will show in 2 to 4 SECONDS, not minutes. If a flame stays on for more than ten seconds it is rarely a flame sensing problem.

Old 12-29-12, 05:34 PM
Seattle & furd, Thanks for the replies.

Still have the intake propped open. No errors yet.

After investigating out under my deck, there's a box where the intake/exhaust exits the house. I see a damper sort of thing for the exhaust, but no pipe for the intake. Whats this box called and can I find it at a hardware store?

Old 12-29-12, 05:41 PM
"...mistaken. Flame sensor problems will show in 2 to 4 SECONDS, not minutes. ... "

I realized that, but, I also saw in a few forums that it was a quick fix, so I tried it. Gotta try to find the quick fixes first before running through the more labor and cost intensive solutions. Besides, now I have the comfort of knowing I have a clean flame sensor and can sleep better tonight.

Old 12-29-12, 06:17 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
Yes, cleaning the flame sensor is a quick fix but in your case it was still wasted time and effort. My flame sensor hasn't been cleaned since spring of 2007 and is still going strong. Not much sense in doing repairs to a part that is obviously not the source of your trouble.

Old 12-30-12, 01:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As Furd suggests, it usually takes several years before a flame sensor will cause a furnace to quit operating.

However, I consider cleaning the flame sensor to be routine maintenance that should be done annually to maximize the probability of reliable operation of the furnace.