code 34 problems

Old 12-29-12, 04:00 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
code 34 problems

I have a Bryant Plus 90 that is 17 years olds. Lately it been doing this thing where it will start up ignite a flame for about 4 seconds and the reset. It does it all the time but there are a few occasions a day when everything goes through perfectly. It gives a code 34 when it does this. So far I have had a repair man tell me that it operating normal so I replaced the flame sensor, checked ground connections, and cleaned all the drain tubes after the A/C clogged last summer. I watch it start up all the time and never see anything unusual carryover is fine. Checked inlet and exhaust and all clear there. The vacuum diaphragm always sucks in. What's left?

Old 12-29-12, 06:51 PM
E
I know you replaced it, but it sounds like the flame sensor.

Old 12-29-12, 07:26 PM
S
I first tried cleaning the original flame sensor and when that didn't do it I just replaced it and I still have this problem. What gets me is what would cause it to always work on its last try and sometimes the occasional first try. Could low fuel pressure cause this? Our gas dryer works fine.

Old 12-29-12, 11:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,898 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
It could be low pressure. Your gas dryer needs a lot less gas to operate.
When the furnace is lit....... you could try starting the dryer and see if that reduced the flame size in the furnace.

Some people say "I checked the ground connections."
It's more then looking at them and seeing that they "look" good. The flame sensor relies on a 100% ground connection between the ignition module and the burner. You need to pull ground screws out and reset them. Makes sure there is a solid metal connection to the burners.

If you have a digital multimeter and would like to check the flame sensor circuit......it would be an easy thing for us to walk you thru. This would confirm whether or not you have a sensor issue.

Old 12-30-12, 02:09 AM
J
Same Problem, code 34

Hi, I am not sure if I should start a new thread or not, but I am having exact same problem. Same action with the furnace starting up and cycling through everything fine for about 5 minutes then shutting down, short cycling and flashing code 34.
I have a Carrier Weathermaker 58DXC induced downdraft (18 yrs old) and have gone throught all the same steps that he (original poster) mentioned with same reults. I am at the "measure gas inlet pressure" stage and have a DMM but not quite sure where to take measurements from.
I apologize if I should start another thread, I will be glad to do so, this just happens to be my same scenario. Thanks

Old 12-30-12, 02:19 AM
Group Moderator
Exact same problem
How do you figure ?

In the first post he states his flame only stays lit for 4 seconds.
Yours is 5 minutes.

With the first poster his furnace has a problem sensing the flame and maintaining combustion.

You don't have that problem at all. Your furnace is recycling 5 minutes after startup. It sounds like your furnace is shutting down on overheat. After 5 minutes......burner stops......what does the main blower do ? Does it stay on ?

Old 12-30-12, 02:28 AM
J
Hi and thank you for taking time. The blower and everything go off and it tries again 3 times without success. I then reset and it will come on for about 4 or 5 seconds and repeat. I say "exact" but I should clarify and say similar.
When it goes off and starts to cycle again, the ignitor heats up but when the flame is supposed to fire, it seems as if no gas is being let in...
I think I will start a new thread as this most likely is not exactly the same issue.... again, thank you for your time

Old 12-30-12, 02:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Jack,

Yes, you need to start a new thread.

People often imagine symptoms are the same as those in an earlier thread, but if they were competent to judge that they wouldn't need to be posting.

Also,

It's confusing to have different problems mixed together, and that can be dangerous.

So do yourself and everyone else a favor and start a new thread and repost the discussion that applies to your furnace.

Old 12-30-12, 04:14 PM
S
I'm a big car nut so what I meant by checking the ground connections was unscrewing them, cleaning with a wire brush. I saw something on the furnace cover about the sensor circuit having to be .5 AMPs I'm just not sure on ho to do it so if you could tell me how to do it that would be great. The dryer does not affect the furnace flame in any way.

Old 12-31-12, 04:14 PM
S
Today I went through and checked every single wire connection to make sure they were all tight and corrosion free and I still have this problem. I can't think of anything that would make it do what its doing other than something electrical, so if you could please walk me through on how to check the sensor circuit I think this problem can be solved. I do have a digital multimeter.

Old 01-02-14, 11:56 AM
what is that "vacuum diaphragm" and how you checked if it's sucks in?

Old 01-02-14, 01:19 PM
Group Moderator
ryan.... check and see if your meter has a microamp scale on it. May also look like ua.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: