Ruud Silhouette furnace won't heat

Old 01-01-13, 10:47 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ruud Silhouette furnace won't heat

Left on vacation, and our furnace worked just fine. Came home to a cold house, and the house sitter won't answer her phone. (Thanks mom!)

We have a Ruud Silhouette furnace (not a Silhouette 2). The thermostat is set for considerably higher than our current temp, yet it won't kick on. Here's what I know:

I checked the breaker at the box. Turned it off, then back on to be sure.

The switch on the side of the furnace is on. I toggled it off and back on.
When I turn it on, I hear an internal fan kick on. The "external" fan (as seen in the opening seconds of this video: Ruud Silhouette operation - YouTube ) does not kick on at any time.

I checked the ignitor, I see no visible cracks. (I replaced this recently, and it worked after replacement.) It is plugged in.

It appears to me that the ignitor and the fan are not receiving electricity. However, I don't know of any other switch that could've been turned off while we were gone. I know our gas is turned on to the unit, and our gas was not shut off while we were gone- our hot water heater still heats water.

Ironically, we can't get our gas fireplace to start either. I'm wondering what happened while we were gone, and even if I could get ahold of our house sitter, I highly doubt she'd admit to changing anything.

Any ideas? I think I'm going to lose my man card for this, and have to call in outside help. Thanks in advance, three little ones in PJ's thank you too.

Old 01-01-13, 11:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,992 Upvotes on 3,583 Posts
It has nothing to do with the gas. It would still go thru the starting sequences.

You've got a control module. Probably in the lower section behind the blower door. You'll need to check it for trouble lights and/or power.
Don't forget.....when the blower door is open the A/C is turned off to the unit.

Gas fireplaces can be a dog to get started if it's the first fire up of the season. Do you have a Dante valve ? or another type of local shut off gas service valve nearby. Make sure that's on.

It may take several....up to 5 minutes to purge the air out of the line to get the pilot lit.

Old 01-01-13, 02:50 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Step dad came over. He has mildly more knowledge than I do.

Took the cover off of the ignition module. There are three lights- 2 green and an orange. The greens are constant, the orange is off.

Checked the voltage of the ignitor- it's good. Checked the voltage going to the ignitor- nothing.

At this point, it's beyond my limited scope of knowledge. Will call in a pro to do what I can't.

Thanks though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: