Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

Payne/Bryant 376B furnace continuously starts/stops after running for 1 hr.

Old 01-02-13, 11:10 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I have a Payne 376B furnace that runs great for 1 hour and it resets itself over and over again. After about 10 resets, it starts working again for another half hour before it starts all over again.

I've cleaned out the flame sensor (it's integrated with the pilot light) and it continues the same process.

Here's a sequence of events -

flame goes out, induction motor runs, lots of clicking on the gas valve, pilot trys to light, doesn't light, everything turns off for 2 seconds, induction motor runs, gas valve clicks, pilot lights, main burners lights, everything shuts off and it continues...

One time I noticed the induction motor and blower were both on without the pilot or burners on and the pilot was trying to ignite. I'm not sure if that's a normal process for the furnace.

Old 01-19-13, 08:55 PM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Follow up on your post: Payne/Bryant furnace continuously starts/stops ....

I have a 25 year old Payne furnace (natural gas, forced air). It will work on and off much like yours where the flame is going strong and suddenly it stops and goes through the restart cycle repeatedly.

Whenever I start the furnace after a period of an hour of non-use, it fires up normally and runs for at least 10 minutes, sometime much longer. When it starts failing, it goes through this recycle click business, sometime restarting after cycling many times and sometime not restarting at all.

I am curious what your problem turned out to be. I am surprised there were no responses to your post.

I have notice the spark at the pilot area looks somewhat weak to me when it fails to start, but then I still need when it goes through normal startup. This very much seems to be heat related problem.

thanks for any and all feedback.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: