Closing Vents in Unused Rooms

Old 01-03-13, 07:15 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Closing Vents in Unused Rooms

Hi all!

I have a finished room in our basement that we don't use for anything but storage really (or as the occasional guest room), and we keep the door closed to keep the cats out. It gets quite warm in there, which seems like such a waste of heat.

I know, however, that I've read that it isn't a good idea to close vents in rooms that are unused. Everyone seems to think I'm crazy when I tell them this.

Can I close those vents, or is there a reason for me to keep the vents in that room open? If there is a reason, what is it?

Thanks!
-JP

Old 01-03-13, 07:19 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
How many vents in the room? If more than one, I would consider closing some of them (but not all). It certainly sounds like you have too much heat being dumped in there.

Old 01-03-13, 07:40 AM
J
I believe there are two. The room is also shares a wall with the "furnace room." So the heat doesn't have far to travel.

Old 01-03-13, 07:48 AM
B
If theres two you should be ok with closing one if not the second one half way. But becareful and make sure you dont close too many youl create more heat in ur firebox and the unit wont run cause of the overtemp sensors in the box. If your house is plenty big enough and you have enough vents in the rest of your house you should be ok.

Old 01-03-13, 08:14 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Yeah, I would certainly close one and see what happens if you have two in the room.

Old 01-03-13, 10:27 AM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
Don't close vents - just slightly close the dampers in rooms which are too warm.

Can I close those vents, or is there a reason for me to keep the vents in that room open? If there is a reason, what is it?
Closing vents reduces airflow through your furnace/ac; insufficient airflow reduces capacity, efficiency, and may cause damage. Most duct systems are probably undersized with everything open.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: