Ignitor Flame on - BURNERS Not Lighting

Old 01-03-13, 03:31 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Ignitor Flame on - BURNERS Not Lighting

Hi there, I have an old rheem furnace with the following symptoms:

1. Ignitor clicks and lights (flame comes on)
2. Burners don't light
3. I don't smell any gas

We have renters in the home and went by and were able to fix the issue once by turning the ignitor off and restarting it. Once the thermo reach temp it turned off, then it had the same issue when trying to restart.

I attached pictures. What could the issue be??? How should I go about troubleshooting. Please help

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-13, 04:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You have a White Rogers intermittent pilot ignition system that probably dates from the 1970s. The pilot flame heats up mercury in the tube in the pilot flame, and when the mercury vaporizes the pressure travels through the thin tubing to turn on the main burners at the gas valve.

The pilot flame in your pictures looks good.

It might be possible to redirect the pilot flame so that it hits the sensor in the pilot flame more directly --- that might cause the furnace to operate.

But frankly you have an overage furnace that probably merits replacement rather than investing money in repairs. You probably aren't going to be able to find a replacement mercury sensor if that's needed, so you would be looking at installing a new gas valve, ignition control and flame sensor to try to extend the life on equipment that is pretty much obsolete.