Are All White-Rodgers 36E's The Same?

Old 01-03-13, 04:15 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are All White-Rodgers 36E's The Same?

Looking online, I see different numbers after 36E -- mine is 98-202.

What is that?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-13, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
No. Are you trying to find a replacement?

What appliance make and model did it come off of?

Old 01-03-13, 05:26 PM
Carrier Weathermaker 8000 - Model #: 58WAV090-GC

I'm not even sure if I need it, but i want to be ready if I do. I've been having an intermittent firing issue with this furnace since the beginning of december (i started a thread about it). It won't fail long enough for me to test the voltage across the valve so I don't know yet.

PS - lawrosa, I actually read over a thread from 09 where you were helping a guy with the same issue on the exact same furnace. But he split before you got to a resolution.

Last edited by Ratdude; 01-03-13 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-03-13, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
I have to look at that valve again.... I remember one had a coil or something in it that failed intermittently... There was a test to check the ohms. Like a resister that goes out of tolerance and it will not pull the solenoid...

That was a commercial appliance though I remember I trouble shot for a customer.

I will poke around.....

I've been having an intermittent firing issue with this furnace since the beginning of december (i started a thread about it)

Any replies on that thread? What issues?

Old 01-03-13, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by lawrosa
Any replies on that thread? What issues?
Yessir, quality replies. I was helped tremendously.

Long story short, intermittent firing -- ie it goes thru it's common start up order but never fires after the click is heard from the gas valve. It's failed only a few times since Dec 1st and I haven't been able to test the voltage before it started to fire again.

Details are here: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ga...-ignition.html

Thanks for your help lawrosa, much appreciated.

Old 01-04-13, 12:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Intermittent problems are the bane of repairmen.

What I would suggest is to 1) describe in detail the sequence of events which occurs when you turn up the thermostat.

That tells us a lot about your furnace.

Often the way to deal with intermittent problems is to cycle the furnace 50-100 times until the ignition failure occurs. Once you understand what SHOULD be happening, you can describe what is not happening when the failure occurs.

A good repairman doesn't say "well, it's working OK NOW! Call me when there's a problem." A good repairman looks for weaknesses in the operation of the furnace which are likely causes of the problem in order to repair it correctly the first time.

That's not quite always possible to do --- but usually it can be done.

Old 01-05-13, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by SeattlePioneer,
Intermittent problems are the bane of repairmen.

What I would suggest is to 1) describe in detail the sequence of events which occurs when you turn up the thermostat.

That tells us a lot about your furnace.

Often the way to deal with intermittent problems is to cycle the furnace 50-100 times until the ignition failure occurs. Once you understand what SHOULD be happening, you can describe what is not happening when the failure occurs.

A good repairman doesn't say "well, it's working OK NOW! Call me when there's a problem." A good repairman looks for weaknesses in the operation of the furnace which are likely causes of the problem in order to repair it correctly the first time.

That's not quite always possible to do --- but usually it can be done.

Thanks Seattle.

I have another thread going (link is above) about my problem and you have been helping me with it. I thank you very much.

So, not to spam the forum, it's probably best to leave that discussion there although I really appreciate your asking.

Thanks to you, we have a plan for the next failure which should really narrow down the culprit.

I thought I'd start this thread just to ask a quick question about replacing a White Rodgers 36E valve, in the event that I'll need it.

lawdosa is looking up some info for me on that but my question does remain:

Are all White Rodgers 36E's the same?

Old 01-06-13, 09:22 AM
Found the suggested replacement for my 36E98-202 on the White Rodgers company webpage, it is: 36H33-412

A quick Google search shows it priced anywhere from around $90 bucks all the way up to $155.

Is locally the best place to buy this item? Or internet. I like to buy locally and I'm willing to pay a reasonable premium to do so -- but if it becomes an unreasonable amount of money, I gotta think of my finances too.

Any suggestions?