field controls power venter not coming on before furnace?

Old 01-03-13, 09:29 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
field controls power venter not coming on before furnace?

i have a swg-4hd power venter that used to come on 30 sec's before the becket oil burner fires, but recently it starts at the exact same time as the furnace and sometimes doesn't continue to run after the burner stops to clear out the gases. and is stinking out the whole house. the power venter i replaced this summer with a new one and it has been working fine up to a few weeks ago, but the venter control box (ck-62) is original and around 20 years old. is this control box responsible for turning on venter before furnace? should it be replaced or should i look somewhere else. thanks

Old 01-04-13, 01:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the thermostat calls for heat, it turns on the power vent motor.

When the motor comes up to speed and creates the needed pressure to verify that the furnace will vent properly, the pressure closes a pressure switch which then turns on the boiler.

It sounds likely that the pressure switch is sticking in the closed position. Use a multimeter to check to see if that is what's happening. If so, you might be able to get a manufacturer's replacement part for the pressure switch, or you might need to replace the vent control as a whole.

Don't install a knock off pressure switch. The pressure switch is a vital piece of safety equipment and ONLY the manufacturer's replacement part should be installed.

Old 01-04-13, 09:45 PM
T
thanks for the info, i'll check the pressure switch tomorrow. i also noticed that there is a clear plastic square relay sticking out the top of the control box. i'll check that also. i have a new ck-63 control that i got new with the venter i replaced this summer but didnt install it yet as its different than my ck-62. it has a electronic post purge as my old ck-62 has a thermal post purge. and it says i need a selonoid oil pump cutoff to work right. but my old oil pump has no cutoff. thanks again

Old 01-07-13, 05:45 PM
T
well my pressure switch was stuck closed so i freed that up and tightend the spring a little. seems to be fine so far. i have a brand new ck63 control i will put on soon to replace the bad one and also will get rid of thermal post purge that dont work right anymore. thanks for the help

Old 01-08-13, 07:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
I much prefer the thermal post purge to the electronic.

Old 01-09-13, 06:49 PM
T
thanks grady. i already have a new control with elec purge that i got in a deal with a new fields power venter so i need to use it. im just tryin to figure out how to hook the new ck-63 control to replace my ck-62. it said i needed a solenoid cut oil pump so i picked up a suntec a2va-3006 with solenoid today. but i dont see why as the r7284u digital primary i have should control the solenoid not the venter control so i dont know why the instructions for the venter control said this.

Old 01-09-13, 08:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The venter instructions probably were not written for the R7284U primary. Most likely just for a simple control without all of the capabilities of the R7284U. I suggest you get in touch with Field. I've always found them to be most helpful when I had a question or problem with their stuff.

Old 01-21-13, 05:39 PM
T
well i finally got the ck-63 control installed and it works great, no more thermal purge that only worked when it wanted to.. i also put in a hydrostat 3250 to replace old aquastat that wasnt keeping temp very well, letting boiler go up to 200 when i had hi limit set to 165.. that 3250 is very smart i think it takes some time to adjust its program but i can see the temp only goes to 180 when the water tank calls for heat, the rest of the time its around 140. so it should save me some oil.
i also just installed the suntec oil pump with solenoid and set the on delay and motor off delay. this i hope should help with the after drip and oily smell. i only had one problem with oil pump, my burner is old AF type and suntec solenoid would hit a screw that adjusts the air intake plate. so i had to take the screw out so i could tighten suntec. now there is only one screw on bottom holding air intake plate from turning and changing adjust,but i hope it holds. i have my oil guy coming to clean whole system thursday. looks like i replaced every electronic piece on the system. hope i will be trouble free for a while.
thanks for all your help grady.

Old 01-23-13, 05:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I too have found that screw to be a problem. I suggest installing a small toothed washer under the bottom screw just to make sure the air band stays put.

Glad you got things all straightened out & your new aquastat is working well. Shoot me a note as you get some more time under your belt with the venter. Maybe the post purge will workout ok.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: