York Propane Furnace issue - “Ignition lockout due to retries”.

Old 01-08-13, 06:30 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
York Propane Furnace issue - “Ignition lockout due to retries”.

Hopefully you can help.

At this point I’ve had 4 different service attempts on this furnace by 3 different “experts” and spent almost $1000 with no result, the first two by the person who installed the unit. None of these furnace mechanics specialized in propane so hopefully your specialty will provide some result.

Here’s my issue. The furnace is about 27 months old at this point being installed new in Oct 2010. About 70% of the time the furnace operates properly. The other 30; The ignitor glows and fires up the flames for <5 secs, then the flames shut off. This pattern repeats 3 times, the blower kicks on and pushes cold air throughout the house for about 20 mins, then shuts off. If we are around/awake and catch this happen, I’ll turn the thermostat off, wait a few seconds, then turn it back on. Usually, this will work… and the next fire up the flames will stay lit and heat the house. Sometime it takes a few t-stat turn offs and back on for it to work properly. When the cycle is in error, I’ll get a blinking 7 red light flash, which I understand is an error for “Ignition lockout due to retries”.

Thus far I have had the ignitor replaced once, flame sensor replaced twice, and unit cleaned once. I’ve cleaned the flame sensor with steel wool numerous times on my own as well. All repairs seem to work initially… but I think this is consequence based on the fact that it has always worked some of the time. It’s an issue I can deal with when we’re around and notice the cold air coming in and I can shut off the t-stat, but it’s a huge issue when we’re sleeping and don’t notice until we wake up in a 58 degree house.

There are many similar posts on this page that explain it's a flame sensor or ignitor issue, but I've exhausted those possibilites. Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks for your time.

Old 01-08-13, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Its either the control board then or the gas valve itself....

Can you post the make and model so we can look up documentation?

Did they check gas pressures at the gas valve running and static?

Old 01-08-13, 06:55 AM
K
Thanks. I'm at work so will have to repost make info later tonight. Pressures had been checked and I was told all was good.

Old 01-08-13, 11:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
When the furnace is operating properly, the hot surface ignitor will heat up for 20-30 seconds or so, and the the ignition control module will turn on the main burner gas. The flame sensor needs to be able to verify that the main burner has lit within 3 seconds or so. If it doesn't verify that the burners are lit, it shuts off the burners and the ignition sequence begins again.

You have an intermittent failure of the flame sensor system to verify that the burners are lit.

I would presume that the main burner flames are engulfing the flame sensor, but check that to be sure and post the result here.

Since the flame sensor has received too much attention, we'll dispense with that as an issue.

The next issue you should check is that the ignition module is properly grounded. Post the make and model of the ignition control module here. You may see a wire going from the ignition module to the furnace chassis, which serves as the ground for the flame sensor circuit. Identify what that wire is connected to and post the result here.

Check that wire carefull for any nicks or defects. polish the connection at the ignition control since corrosion can impair the current flow. Also, disconnect and remake the connection of that wire to the furnace sheet metal after cleaning that connection --- again you want to be ceratin that you are making a good connection that is not impaired by corrosion or a poor connection.

Old 01-08-13, 03:59 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
ON PROPANE : have the burners been removed and cleaned? Are all the burners igniting when they only run for <5 sec?

Old 01-08-13, 06:18 PM
K
@hvactech. Short answer; yes. Longer answer... about 1 year ago, the 30% issue I'm speaking about one day became a 100% issue. This was the second time the contractor who installed it spent some time working on the unit. At that time he spent about 6 hours troubleshooting the whole unit, and the last thing he did was change the sensor (this was the first time the sensor was changed). After that it started working again, but just returned to the 70/30 state it is in now.

Old 01-08-13, 06:25 PM
K
@seattlepioneer. Thanks, I checked everything and can't see any issues with corrosion or bad connections. The flame sensor is not dead center of the flame, somewhat off centered... but nonetheless engulfed in the flame. I couldn't find the model # of the ignition model... but the model # of the York Furnace, also asked previosly by another moderator... is TG9S100C16MP11A.

I'm assuming, and I apologize for my ignorance, that the ignition module you mention is the same thing as the igniter? If it is, that had already been changed out once, unneccesarily by a mechanic that charged me about $400 for his "services"... but either way is grounded securely.

I apprecaite everyones info thus far. I emailed York directly the same question and haven't heard back... but I'm guessing they're just gonna tell me to call a dealer/tech in my area.

Old 01-08-13, 06:35 PM
So 1 year ago the burners were cleaned. That does not mean they don't need cleaned now. The burners should be cleaned annually on a propane system.

Old 01-09-13, 03:57 AM
K
point taken Kevin. However, with the issue ar hand... after the unit WAS cleaned, I still had this issue.

And I thought that one of the benefits of propance vs oil was b/c of the clean burning nature of these units, they didn't need to be cleaned annually?? Originally I was told every 3-5 years.

Old 01-09-13, 04:50 AM
Propane has a much higher water content than natural gas. Propane corrodes everything much faster. It looks like you have a 90% furnace. Has the drain trap been removed and washed out?

Old 01-09-13, 04:53 AM
If you read the manual and warranty info on your furnace you will find cleaning is required annually. In fact your warranty is void if proper maintenance is not done annually.

Old 01-09-13, 07:41 AM
K
Understood, and thanks again. I'm not sure the drain tap has been removed and washed out. One of my issues with the original contractor is that they never left the warranty info and manual, so I don't have it to troubleshoot.

I've searched the web looking for the manual but can't find it anywhere. Have any ideas there as well?

Old 01-09-13, 02:55 PM
Manuals rarely have troubleshooting info in them today.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: