heat pump or furnace + a/c

Old 01-31-01, 09:21 PM
Visiting Guest
I live in the Washington DC area and will need to replace my heat pump which has died. I am looking for help in deciding between a new heat pump or buying a separate gas furnace and air conditioner. I've gotten one quote so far and the separate units are considerably more expensive to purchase, but I haven't yet seen operating cost numbers.

What considerations should I be looking at in deciding which way to go ?

Old 02-01-01, 08:42 AM
lynn comstock
Visiting Guest
If the new housing in your area favors gas, go with gas. The builders are sensitive to what buyers want or prefer. Someday you will have to sell your home and the potential buyers may cross you off the list if they don't want gas or a heat pump.

Also look at:
http://www.proctoreng.com/articles/bigger.html
http://www.eren.doe.gov/consumerinfo/refbriefs/cb7.html
These pages are designed to help buyers find out what they need to know to get the best results. The contractor is the most important element to good results. Brand and fuel choice are secondary.

Old 02-01-01, 01:57 PM
PDF
Visiting Guest
My thoughts

I lived in Baltimore for about 5 years.Okay so big deal.With a HP it is used 365 days a year in that area or almost.It is used to heat and cool.If you install central air and a gas furnace,since they are seperate entities,you will reduce the hours of running time on each.Do,as many times mention on this forum.Do homework and find out the costs of your utilites for electric verus gas.PDF

Old 02-01-01, 03:19 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Lived and worked the DC area. Charles, Montgomery and PG counties. Go with the gas and a/c. As this past winter shows, it does get too cold for the heat pumps some winters.

Old 02-01-01, 03:45 PM
dna
Visiting Guest
I agree 100% with fjrachel.

Old 02-02-01, 10:54 AM
Antony W. Serio
Visiting Guest
I have to disagree with fjrachel. I live in Front Royal Virginia on the north slope of a mountain. Needless to say, it gets cold where I live. I have a 2 stage heat pump with an LP secondary and haven't had any problems. My gas bill is considerably lower than what it would be if I had a regular gas furnace. Just my tupense worth.

Old 02-03-01, 07:29 AM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Good thought Antony. An LP(gas) furnace as 2nd stage, instead of traditional strip heat, would solve the cold weather problem also. But the expense wouldn't pay off in an area where natural gas is available.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: