Wifi Thermostat

Old 01-09-13, 09:23 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wifi Thermostat

Aloha!,

I am trying to install a new Honeywell Wifi Thermostat in my home. The new thermostat requires a "C" connection, which I could use the "G".

The problem I run into is on the furnace. I have a Goodman (GMP075-4), and I don't see the terminal panel where I can switch the "G" to "C" and put a jumper between "Y" and "G".

Here's a couple of pictures of the wires connecting from the thermostat.

Any assistance will be great.

Mahalo,

Attached Images   
Old 01-09-13, 11:49 AM
R
Update:

I spoke to a HVAC person at Home Depot. He says I can use the Blue wire (not currently used) as the "C" on the thermostat, then connect the Blue wire (at the furnace) to the "R".

Will this work?

Old 01-09-13, 12:33 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I think that he was half right. Yes, you can use the Blue to the C on the thermostat, but I believe that the Blue at the furnace needs to go to the common or ground terminal.

Best bet is to wait a few hours until the pros get home and they can then give you the correct story.

Old 01-10-13, 07:42 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 89 Votes on 84 Posts
The blue wire should go to terminal 6 at the burner and the C terminal at Stat ,the purpose of which is to have 24VAC at the Stat ,I just checked the wiring Dia. For that unit and it look's like the blue wire or terminal 6 at the burner is the terminal to use.

Old 01-10-13, 07:55 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't see the need for this jumper, is this a heating and cooling unit?

Old 01-10-13, 08:35 AM
R
Yes it is. I've been also told (by a HVAC person) that I can use the Blue wire as my "C" on the stat and tie in the Blue wire with the condensing unit (picture with Blue and White connected).

Old 01-10-13, 02:42 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It's hard to tell in the pic's which wires are which,your ultimate goal is to have 24VAC between the R and C at the Stat. If you can identify the wires that are going to the condenser at the burner, one should be a yellow from the Stat (spliced)and if the other one is blue than you can use that blue for your C terminal. I hope this makes sense, by the way what model Stat are you using? I am thinking of installing one myself but have not decided on what Mfg.

Old 01-10-13, 03:12 PM
R
Thanks for the info. If you look at the photo, the wire strand with the blue wire wrapped, goes the Stat. The one with the green wire wrapped, goes to the condensing unit.

I'm installing a Honeywell Wifi Stat (RTH6580WF).

Old 01-10-13, 03:31 PM
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
Proper wiring:

furnace stat condenser

R - R
Y - Y ------> condenser contactor
G - G
C- C -------> Condenser contactor
W - W

NEVER connect R to C anywhere unless your goal is to let the "factory smoke" out.

Old 01-10-13, 04:08 PM
R
Don't want that to happen...so please clarify for me:

If I spliced the blue wire (which is wrapped in the photo) to the Blue/White combination (don't know the right terminology) then connect the same blue wire (on the Stat) side to the "C"...will this work?

Old 01-10-13, 06:08 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
yes, that will work.................

Old 01-11-13, 08:45 AM
R
All,

Mahalo! For all your inputs....I successfully installed my new thermostat and got the wifi connected too. If it weren't for you, I would've had to pay an electrican to install it. I can use that money for my next project...install heated floors in my master suite.

Aloha!

Old 01-01-14, 04:26 PM
W
Can you please post photos of your installation, with detailed instructions?

I have the same furnace and am trying to install the exact same thermostat. A couple pictures of your completed work, and complete description of how you accomplished this would be of tremendous help. Thanks!!

Old 01-01-14, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,422 Votes on 1,315 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

This thread is over a year old.

We need to know how many wires are in the cable that connects to the thermostat and if there are any unconnected ones.
You need to look at your thermostat and post what color wires are on what terminals.
Like this:
R = red
G= green
etc.

After that we'll tell you what to do.

Old 01-01-14, 04:58 PM
W
Here are photos of my current thermostat and furnace

Thermostat and Furnace, current wiring.
I also don't see where that blue wire (from the thermostat) is coming out at the furnace.
This youtube video also talks about jumpering a Y connector at the furnace end.
Honeywell DIY Wi-Fi Thermostat Substitute G-Wire for C-Wire-- US and Canada - YouTube

Attached Images      
Old 01-01-14, 05:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Post a picture of the pigtail stat wire connections at your furnace. These are sometimes just outside or the furnace with wire nuts connecting the stat wire to the furnace pigtails. The blue wire from the furnace is C.
Looks like the blue wire from your stat is Y, so try not to confuse them.

Do you have any extra, unused wires at your stat to use for C or are you going to sacrifice Fan Only capability?

Old 01-01-14, 05:34 PM
W
Additional photos

I do not have any extra unused wires at the stat. I can sacrifice fan only capability - I've never used it.

In the picture, it looks like the blue wire from the stat is pigtailed to a red wire that is part of a pair (white wire and red wire) that goes up somewhere in the ceiling. I have no idea where that's going though. This is just a townhouse. The white wire of that pair is pigtailed to the light blue wire going into the furnace. The light blue wire is connected to the metal housing (i.e., you can see it in the very far right corner of that last photo below of all the wires inside the furnace), so I'm assuming that's a ground?

Attached Images   
Old 01-01-14, 06:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
At the stat...
Connect green to the new stat C terminal.

At the furnace...
Move stat green to the pigtail with that blue furnace wire along with the white condenser wire currently connected to it.

Connected the newly vacated furnace green wire to the pigtail with stat blue and condenser red.

Old 01-01-14, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,422 Votes on 1,315 Posts
Be sure to turn furnace power off first.

Old 01-01-14, 06:42 PM
W
Thanks

So that will mean (when I'm done) that the green stat wire with be on the C terminal, and it in turn will be pigtailed to the light blue wire and the condenser white wire - which all connect to the furnace housing?

Thank you SOOOO much

Old 01-01-14, 07:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, the green stat wire would then be C (common).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: