Brynat gas - Do I have the right control board?

Old 01-09-13, 12:50 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Brynat gas - Do I have the right control board?

I have a Bryant gas furnace 350MAV 036060 ADKA s/n 2199A01827. Have been problems with the attic (upper zone) system igniting. No ignitor glow. Had an HVAC guy check out the system and said that the control board was bad. Sent him home. Checked voltage to gas valve during and after warm up period, when the coil valve clicks and it was zero. Decided to replace the ignitor since it was old and broke after cleaning and handling. Voltage to gas valve was still zero and system did not fire up. When changing the ignitor, I also cleaned the flame sensor, checked much of the system grounding and continuity, checked all connections, inspected burner box, cleaned the drain line, removed the filters (so there is no flow restrictions). After replacing the ignitor, I switched out the board with the board from the working unit in the basement (same make/model and board). Kept the board on for a couple of hours, let it cycle normally several times, and the attic system worked fine.
However, with the new board installed, the ignitor glows and the system fires up (gas ignited) for a few seconds, but then it shuts down and I get a code 34 “ignition proving failure”. The top burner has some white or yellow flame which seems to indicate that it is not burning clean. I also smell a small amount of gas outside of the furnace after the cycle (incomplete combustion??). There is a faint pumping, hissing, crackling noise in the area of the gas valve and burner box when the gas valve port opens and burners light up.
I am obviously thinking that I have installed the wrong board. The board is ICM Controls, Inc. ICM282A, which is listed to replace the original board HK42FZ011. I bought the board from NorthAmericaHVAC.com. The component self-test does not show any errors when run (does not include the gas valve as part of the run). However, the box does say that it is a fixed speed furnace control replacement kit, but I recall that this Bryant uses a multi-speed blower motor. Also, the specs for the gas valve are 1.5 amps and 30 VAC, but the gas valve is 24 VAC. Not sure if these would cause a problem. Any advice on where to go to next.

Old 01-09-13, 03:42 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
I always try to stick with OEM parts. ICM has had some bad boards out the box.

Old 01-11-13, 06:07 AM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ok. thanks. hate to spend more money, but maybe i'll give them a look see.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: