Rheem natural gas heater won't light

Old 01-14-13, 09:31 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rheem natural gas heater won't light

Originally, the heater quit lighting. I replaced the gas valve since it was getting 24V to the coil and the lighter was producing a spark. Replacing the valve didn't work. Took it out applied 24V to it and tried to blow through it. Valve wouldn't open. I was able to get them to warranty the valve put a new one in and it still wouldn't light. Called a technician out, he said the valve was bad. 3 "bad" valves later and still no resolution. What's odd is that when you apply 24V to the valve, you can hear the solenoid clicking (opening) however it's not allowing gas through. Is there something else that could be ruining these valves?

Old 01-14-13, 11:24 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Are you using the appropriate valve?

Old 01-15-13, 12:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Most electric gas valves are redundant these days. They have two separate valves which must be energized in order for gas to flow.

Since it doesn't sound your your diagnostic methods were good, I'd suppose the original gas valve was not the problem, and that the other gas valves you've installed haven't been installed correctly.

Frankly, I recommend against DIY replacement of gas valves.

I have no opinion on the diagnosis of the repairman. He might be right, or perhaps not.

Unfortunately, your situation is a good example of why correct diagnosis of a problem is important. If that's not done properly it leads to a cascade of confusion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: