Gas Furnace multiple cycles and wont turn on sometimes.....!!GOING CRAZY!!

Old 01-16-13, 02:29 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Furnace multiple cycles and wont turn on sometimes.....!!GOING CRAZY!!

Our furnace over the past few months has been acting very odd, I have replaced the following parts on it and still has the issue.

Temp Sensor
High Limit Switch
Flame Igniter
Filter

The Furnace is a York and does the following mostly everyday.

ISSUES

1. After being turned down to 65 during the day the temp should go up to 68 when I come home well that doesn't happen sometimes it wont even turn on. If it does then it will stay on for a few min then shut off which still hasn't reached it's programmed temp.

2. When the furnace is turned on and trying to reach it's programmed temp the flames will shut off then a few seconds later the Flame Igniter will come back on and light them again this will happen multiple times throughout the cycle.

TESTING

1. I ran the furnace at 68deg for 2 days straight and the temp stayed at the programmed temp never fell off.

2. Today I also took high temperature aluminum foil tape and sealed around the Inducer Motor there was a few gaps.

Any help would be great I'm pulling my hair out over here trying to fix this issue.

Thank you!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-13, 11:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A furnace doesn't just turn on. It goes through a sequence of events which, if completed, results in heat. If not completed, you don't have the heat the furnace is supposed to provide.

You have an intermittent problem, which can be a pain to diagnose. However, it does give you the ability to observe and understand the sequence of operation when the furnace is operating normally and compare that to the sequence when the furnace isn't running correctly.

So take the cover off the burner compartment and observe that sequence of operation when the thermostat is turned up. Post that here.

When the furnace doesn't light, observe that sequence again and post that here as well.

Old 01-17-13, 05:13 PM
M
Hi there and thank you for posting, I have done what you said to do.

When the furnace kicks on the Inducer Motor kicks on for 30-60secs the next thing that comes on is the Flame Lighter "Glow Stick" once that reaches a max temp the gas kicks over and the burners come on. I notice that when I'm trying to reach a higher temp when I'm low is when the following starts to happen.

When the furnace has to reach the temp of 68deg and is at 65 everything happens as above but then the burners shut off and the Flame Lighter "Glow Stick" comes on and then gas turns back on to ignite the burners the fans are still running when this is going on. This will happen 1-3 times during a cycle pending on how high the temp is turned up.

Other times when I wakeup on the weekends the furnace is programmed to be at 68deg at 7am but I see it's at 66deg when I went down stairs I notice that the light is flashing on the panel board 4 times which I looked up the code and says that it's a Lockout for tying to many times. I have to reset the furnace at the source then it will kick over.

I have had Company come in and his thoughts was to replace the High Limit switch which I did this past week myself still the issue.

My father-inlaw works on furnaces on the side he said to ground the furnace more this may be the issue.

Old 01-18-13, 11:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do yourself a favor and diagnose the problem correctly before replacing more parts.

I would guess that you will find that the furnace will shut off as you describe anytime you turn the thermostat up so that the furnace run continuously for an extended period of time.

I'd start by using a multimeter to see if the limit switch or the pressure switch is opening when the furnace is failing to stay on as it should.

Post the results of those tests.