Trane XV80 losing its mind?

Old 01-17-13, 07:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trane XV80 losing its mind?

Hi all,

I've got a propane Trane XV80 that seems to be losing its mind. I'm seeing two problems.

1) After the heating cycle, the fan runs for a long time, maybe 30 minutes to an hour. I've also noticed that it will sometimes stay running on warm days when the temperature is warmer than the thermostat setting. After cycling power, the fan shuts off and won't turn on again until the furnace lights.

2) This morning, the temperature was two degrees below the thermostat setting. The fan was blowing cold air and the furnace wasn't lit. After cycling power, the fan came on and the furnace lit.

In both of the above cases fudging with the thermostat control had no effect.

I'm handy around the house but not familiar with propane furnaces or how they're supposed to behave. Any thoughts on where to start?

Thanks,
Michael

P.S. Yes, I just signed up. With all the Looney Tune character avatars, I was mildly disappointed that there was no Slowpoke Rodriguez.

Old 01-17-13, 12:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This furnace has a diagnostic light that may indicate problems in the furnace. It can be observed through the porthole in the fan compartment cover. See if any diagnostic codes are being flashed when you are observing a problem.

The index to the various codes is usually found on the inside of the fan compartment door. If a code is being flashed, identify what the code is for and post that here.

A fan that runs too long but eventually stops is likely to be a sticking relay on the ignition control module, which is what you are looking at for the diagnostic light. When the fan doesn't shut off properly, you can try using your fist to strike the fan compartment door to see if a shock will cause the relay to open and shut off the fan.

The idea isn't to pound on it! You want to jog the relay.

Old 01-22-13, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't see the problem this last weekend. If I see the problem this week I'll give it a whack.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: