intermittent oil burner firing

Old 01-27-13, 09:18 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
intermittent oil burner firing

I have a Weil Mclain boiler with a Beckett burner and a suntec a2va-7116 pump with a feed return line into a unground 550 tank. Now here is my problem: I had an intermittent firing problem so I did the usual by checking fuel in tank and checked for gelling. I then replaced filter nozzle and strainer screen nothing helped. I then checked pump with gauge and it was spiking from 0-100. So i decided to replace pump and replace line from pump to filter with black pipe instead of the copper tubing. Bleed system still same problem. There is oil in the line and oil in filter. I did make sure 5/32nd screw was in bypass on return side. Need some advice? Please

Old 01-28-13, 08:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
I suspect an air leak but other possibilities include a serious restriction in the suction line, a slipping pump coupling, or a bad pump.

Use a piece of rubber or plastic tubing (1/4" ID) on the pump bleeder & into a container to look for air bubbles or foam. You can also screw a vacuum gauge into an unused suction port on the pump to determine if there is a restriction (high vacuum) or an air leak (very low vacuum).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: