Ruud Silhouette just stopped working

Old 01-21-13, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ruud Silhouette just stopped working

Just got home from work and the furnace insn't working

Ruud Silhouette model rcba-60896624
SER# m2494

gas forced air

Induction draft motor starts: really not sure..makes a humming noise bust doesn't sound like a motor/blower running.

power and microprocessor leds are on.

not sure how to check pressure switch

temp or flame sensor is clean

no glow on ignitor

Does ignitor need to become a certain temp prior to gas being emitted to light?

Should I replace ignitor and go from there?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-13, 04:15 PM
correction on above post

this is a ruud model UGLG-15EARJR

SER CE1D307 F0592 4812

What are the chances of the board going bad?

Old 01-22-13, 12:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
<<
Induction draft motor starts: really not sure..makes a humming noise bust doesn't sound like a motor/blower running.

>>

Take the cover off the burner compartment of the furnace and describe in sequence and in detail the events that occur when you turn up the thermostat.

Old 01-24-13, 04:12 PM
I was not getting the correct voltage to the motor.

I replaced the board and while I was at it, replaced the igniter and flame sensor. I called RUUD/RHEEM prior to ordering the parts to make sure I got correct board for CE gas.

I just finished replacing everything...cleaned it..it is starting up fine. Gets call for heat..induction starts...ignites..lights...and runs...however, now it seems the main blower is running faster than it use to. I pulled all connection one at a time and double checked they are in the right spots. all dip switches are in the off position as was the old board. is there a way to adjust the speed of the blower. it is sounding a little stressed and noticeably louder than before. Doesn't sound like bearings..but not ruling that out.

Speed adjustments to blower available??

thanks in advance.

Old 01-24-13, 06:54 PM
lol...had it working although the main blower seemed to be running fast...cycled three times before fault code for the pressure switch failure ( remains open )
started coming up.

induction blower won't start....
would this be caused by the switch or the switch not working because the blower won't start???

Old 01-25-13, 10:00 AM
Replace pressure switch..called for heat, everything went as it was suppose to. Furnace ran for about 5 minutes and shut off No where near the stat setting.

I pulled cover off and I'm getting same error code as before "pressure switch failure (remains open)". I've checked the tube and it's clear of debris. What am I missing?
could it be the induction blower?

This is day 4 without the furnace

Old 01-25-13, 10:11 AM
Please see the other posts on this thread...I am now stumped..........

Old 01-25-13, 02:28 PM
A lengthy list of problems can cause the pressure switch to fail to close. Anything from the air intake to the exhaust and anything in between, including the furnace can be an issue, and many would be difficult for a do it yourselfer to identify.

Furthermore, I'd want to measure the air pressure being applied to the pressure switch to see what going on there.

You probably need a GOOD repairman to disgnose the problem. I'm talking about a GOOD repairman, which would include those who CARRY and USE a manometer to measure the pressure and understand how to measure that pressure correctly and understand what the reading they get might mean.

If you find that kind of repairman, he can probably diagnose the problem you have as well.

Old 01-25-13, 06:08 PM
Seattle,

Thanks for the reply.

I spent the morning removing the flue to see if it was blocked..had some rust ect. in it but clear. Cleaned it all.

removed the induction blower and found 3 roofing nails floating around by the cage (nice). Cleaned it all...after seeing that, I thought I'd put the old pressure switch back in just to see if it was bad...also ran it without flue attached...called for heat and no problems in sequence. It did still however only run for about 3 minutes and shut down throwing the open switch code again. It also did this with the new switch. I'm sure the nails may have taken a toll on the motor as it does make a squeaking noise on occasion when running and maybe not maintaining the speed to continue the cycle...I've owned the home for 2 years now and never have heard it make that noise (the nails had to be in there the whole time)

I'm guessing I can assume the switch was not bad in the first place since it worked when put back in and i get the same result with the new one. I have an induction motor on the way...if thats not it, time for a new unit.

Old 01-26-13, 01:08 PM
My choice would be to hire a competent repairman to diagnose the problem rather than guessing that expensive parts will solve the problem or replacing the furnace. I will predfict that replacing the inducer motor will not solve the problem.

If the inducer motor appears to come up to speed, the fan turns freely and the fan wheel is not damaged, the inducer motor is unlikely to be the problem.

You might also check to see if the fitting to the inducer motor housing that the rubber tubing connects to is obstructed with rust or debris. This can often easily be cleaned out with a small drill bit. The hole onto the inducer housing is often smaller that the hole above it, so choosing a SMALL drill bit and being sure it goes into the area of the inducer motor can be important.

But it's your choice.

Old 01-29-13, 02:27 PM
induction motor installed. working as it should even with the old pressure sensor hooked up.

thanks..