Rheem ROBC 084QAEA Oil Furnace Won't Light/Stare

Old 01-23-13, 01:33 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rheem ROBC 084QAEA Oil Furnace Won't Light/Stare

I have a Rheem ROBC 084QAEA furnace. It was installed in 1991. It runs on heating oil. I neglected to order a shipment of heating oil and the tank ran dry (all but the bottom inch or so on the 250 to 275 gallon tank) on Saturday, Jan 19. When the oil delivery was made I attempted to re-start the furnace but no dice. I removed the top panel of the unit and spotted a red light on next to the reset button. I hit the reset button and the furnace restarted for a few seconds before stopping. The red light lit up again. This area is, I think, connected to the burner. After a few more attempts at resetting the red button the furnace lit and the unit operated properly until sometime last night.

I looked at the unit and did the same resetting of the red button, this time with no success. In the attempt at restarting this morning, as well as Saturday afternoon, a small quantity of black soot shot out of the exhaust pipe running into the chimney.

This afternoon I changed the in-line filter, a Model 1A-25A. I bled the line as per a YouTube vid I watched and that seemed to go ok. I was still unable to get the unit to start up. It seems that there is no ignition going on. When I hit the reset buttom for about the 5th time, the unit would not reset.

I would appreciate any help at doing some more troubleshooting.

Mike

Old 01-23-13, 04:02 PM
G
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't sound good Big Red.Seems like you might have flooded the chamber with oil.Maybe look where the big blower fan is in that compartment.Oil?If not still could be alot off build up.If I was you would call for service,warn the guy.Just glad it not me. You might have broke the control,maybe if your lucky the nozzle was completely block early.

Old 01-23-13, 04:36 PM
B
Thanks for your reply, guyold. I just came back from trying something else. I tried bleeding the line again, and I found there was still air in the line. In order to bleed the line completely, I attached a tube to the bleed valve, opened the valve, and reset the system again. Air and fuel sputtered out but I couldn't get all the air out before the system cut off again. I don't want to keep hitting the reset button because I also hear oil dripping into the combustion chamber at the same time. I have a call in for a Sears service tech (any feedback from people on how honest the Sears workers are?). Otherwise, I'm going to try to get the initial installer to come out to look at it. Their last service call was in 1997, and I bought the house in 2005. In the years in between, the house was largely empty.

Old 01-23-13, 07:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
When trying to purge the air from the fuel system, it is very important to close the bleeder fully the instant the control shuts the burner down. This prevents air from being sucked back in via the bleeder hose & largely prevents oil from running back to the tank. Do not open the bleeder again until the burner motor is running. You could very well have fouled the nozzle when you ran out of oil.

Old 01-24-13, 07:44 AM
B
Thanks for the info, Grady. I have a service tech coming today to take a look at the system. Sometimes the can-be-dangerous amateurs like me just have to know when to spend the money on the experts and leave our tinkering to not-so-dangerous repair pursuits.

Old 01-26-13, 04:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
'tis a wise man indeed who knows he's getting in over his head before he gets there. Let me know what the tech finds.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: