delayed ignition

Old 01-24-13, 02:29 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
delayed ignition

I have a Frigidiaire HE furnace mod.#FG6RC060C-12A that is 8 years old.The problem is delayed ignition. It,s very intermittent.It might only occur every 3-4 days or sometimes in the middle of the night. But when the furnace ignites with this delayed ignition , it sounds like a loud boom & actually will wake you in the night!The contractor who installed unit has yet to hear it as it is so intermittent He,s replaced the board, put in a new flame sensor & has checked burners for for dirt , ect. Now he is going to put in a new igniter.I,ve noticed when unit has a normal start up, there is a red glow that is visible through a glass port on front but when there is a delayed ignite , there,s about a 3-4 second pause & no glow, just a flash & boom! Could this be a faulty glow bar? Another strange thing After 4 or 5 of of these episodes, if I shut off furnace breaker for a few minutes, furnace will run normal again (for awhile) Regards, John

Old 01-24-13, 04:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Intermittent problems can be very hard to diagnose. Just throwing parts at the furnace is not a solution, your contractor is just guessing. In all reality the symptom (delayed ignition) must be observed to try to find the cause.

Old 01-25-13, 01:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>

Apparently you observed this episode of delayed ignition --- is that correct?

You need to describe the circumstance for us in a lot more detail as far as time, pattern and what you are observing.

If the hot surface ignitor wasn't glowing to light off the gas, it's hard to believe it would light off on it's own. If the hot surface ignitor isn't hot, the gas simply comes out of the burners and is exhausted up the vent without lighting. So describe in more detail your observation that the gas lit without the HSI glowing.

99% of the time delayed ignition is caused by dirty or poorly adjusted burners. Your contractor apparently hasn't taken the burners out to clean them, but that should have been among the first thing done.

Has your contractor charged you for all these parts? I suppose he has. Replacing a bunch of parts that aren't at all likely to cause the problem while failing to clean the burners has not been doing you a favor and is not an indication of competent service in my opinion.

Your description of delayed ignition is highly convincing. Had I been given that information, I would have cleaned the burners on the first trip out, and if that didn't solve the problem I might have replaced the burners if I couldn't do a better job of identifying a problem with the existing burners.

It's unlikely I would have replaced any of the parts you describe, not without real evidence they were causing the problem. Guessing wouldn't have cut it as a motive for replacing those parts.

Old 01-26-13, 10:27 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delayed ignition

Thanks for your input! When the furnace is working properly, the usual start up is about a 30-40 second purging & then a click and furnace ignites. When there is a delay ignition , there is about a 3-4 second pause after purging before it ignites (with a boom!) It,s like when you miss lighting your bbq on the first or second match. As for the burners , as far as I know,the service guy only did a visual check . I will definitely be passing this info onto him & it,s very likely a new service person might be in order! Thanks again, John

Old 01-26-13, 01:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A "visual check" is not adequate unless it identifies a problem that leads to cleaning or adjusting the burners.

If a visual check doesn't identify the problem, the burners should be cleaned and adjusted as a matter of routine, since 95% of the time the reason for delayed ignition is dirty or maladjusted burners.

If cleaning and adjusting the burners doesn't solve the problem, I'd replace the burners, although that should almost never be necessary if cleaning and adjustment is done PROPERLY.

There are occasions when burners are rusted and need replacement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: