Improper venting on my furnace

Old 01-26-13, 07:01 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Improper venting on my furnace

I have a 80,000btu Trane XP90. The house is 6 years old and I bought it last fall. As a condition of the sale, the installer cleaned and inspected it; saying it was in perfect condition.

The other night my furnace stopped running. The inlet was completely iced over; when I cleaned that up it ran normally. It iced over because it was installed horribly wrong.
Name:  pipes.jpg
Views: 5763
Size:  22.6 KB
The two pipes are too close together (8", minimum 9"), the vent is too short (7", minimum 12"), it is 10" from an inside corner, and 6" below a deck.

When I have a talk with my installer I can show him the first two are contrary to Trane's requirements; but there is no documentation on the last two. He will just say he has been installing furnaces for 20 years and knows they are fine.
Is there any documentation (codes, regulations, Trane specifications) that unequivocally show the distance from the inside corner and deck are improper?

I just want to be prepared for our chat. Thanks.

Old 01-26-13, 10:34 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
The main problem is that the flues are under the deck and are recirculating. They should be goose-necked up above the deck and insulated. You can solve the distance between by turning the intake 90 degrees to the left (assuming the left pipe is intake). The exhuast can be made to shoot out further by bushing down to 1 1/2"

Old 01-26-13, 11:32 AM
T
Can't do that. The extra fittings and pipe involved would take it past the 50' allowed.
It can however be extended out to the end of the deck.

But I need to convince the contractor he did it wrong. While the pipe and insulation are cheap, the second issue is that the furnace has been breathing in it's own exhaust for 6 years and that can't be good for the heat exchanger. I don't want to pay for that when it is his responsibility.

Old 01-26-13, 11:40 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
It is probably fine. Burners probably just need cleaned/replaced.

Old 02-22-13, 11:00 AM
T
The contractor checked and found Trane recommended 3' from a side wall and 3' from a deck. Trane recommends extending everything 8' to reach the end of the deck and replacing all the pipes with 3". Contractor acknowledges he did it wrong and will do the rework at no charge.
Assuming the furnace hasn't taken a hit, all is in well.

Old 02-22-13, 04:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The next best thing to a contractor who does a job properly is one who will correct an improper installation readily when his mistake is pointed out to him.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: