Temperamental Rheem Gas Fired Furnace

Old 01-27-13, 07:45 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Temperamental Rheem Gas Fired Furnace

I am a pretty handy person and have been researching my particular issue for days but have been unable to find a "permanent solution." Last week I awoke to a cold house. I turned off the heat at the thermostat, turned it back on and it worked for a few minutes. I checked the furnace up in the attic and after much going back and forth, ended up changing the limit switch and cleaning the spark ignitor and flame sensor. The pressure switch has not been changed out, but I have tapped on it once or twice after getting the pressure switch error code. The unit was left completely open (no covers put back on) yesterday and it seemed to be working fine, as the temperature was maintained adequately. I awoke to another cold morning. This time the furnace was flashing a failed ignition code. Again, I removed the cover and it seems to be working. My concerns are that the codes keep changing. When I watch the furnace, the flame seems to stall while its on but remains lit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 01-27-13, 11:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,056 Upvotes on 3,639 Posts
When I watch the furnace, the flame seems to stall while its on but remains lit.
Can you tell us what that means ?
Is this natural gas or propane ?

Old 01-27-13, 12:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do not leave the furnace to operate without the fan compartment door being properly installed. Doing so can cause a variety of hazardous conditions.

I wouldn't leave the burner compartment door off either. That door can prevent unsafe conditions such as flame coming out from the burners.

Don't change out the pressure switch --- it's almost certainly a waste of time, as was changing out the limit switch. Guessing is not a reliable means of diagnosing furnace problems.

Instead, take the cover off the burner compartment of the furnace. Describe for us in order and in detail the sequence of events that occdurs when the thermostat is turned up.

You appear to have one or more intermittent problems, which can be difficult to diagnose. Once you become acquainted with the correct sequence of operation of the furnace, continue to start the furnace and run it through the ignition sequence repeatedly until the intermittent problem repeats itself.

That might take 20-30 cycles --- perhaps more, before that intermittent problem occurs.

Sometimes a furnace may need to have the burners run for 30-60 minutes continuously before an intermittent problems reveals itself, usually by the burners being shut off on the limit switch. You might need to turn the thermostat way up to get the burners to stay on and observe the operation of the furnace for an extended perios of time before observing that kind of problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: