Flame blows out on Goodman gas furnace

Old 01-30-13, 10:26 AM
Flame blows out on Goodman gas furnace

I'm in need of help with a furnace issue for a Goodman GMS8 model. Just recently I noticed that our flame continuously blows out after a long period of use. It has no problem igniting. I can see the igniter light up orange and then the flame lights on the gas burners. After a short period of time, you can see the flame blow out and will repeatedly do this.

One other thing about this issue, if I turn the furnace off for a extended amount of time and then turn it on again it seems to work for a couple of hours then it starts to repeat that cycle again. We had a service call a couple of months ago to just to do a check and he said that the inducer motor was amping out at 1.6 amps and said that it could go bad ant any time. Could that be the reason this is happening or does anybody have another suggestion?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-13, 11:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does the fan run continuously when the burners shut off, or does the fan shut off when the furnace recycles?

The most likely cause of the symptom you describe is that the furnace is overheating and the limit switch is shutting off the burners. If that is happening, the fan would usually continue to run, the furnace would cool off and the burners would again ignite and overheat the furnace.

Use a multimeter to check and see if the limit switch is opening when the burners shut off.

Old 01-31-13, 05:27 AM
Re:

The limit switch seems to have continuity and doesn't seem to be an issue, but I'm definitely not an expert by any means either. I noticed that the flame sensor was very corroded so I did clean that off. I haven't been able to check to see if it works yet, because I'm waiting to receive my new inducer motor I ordered. It should be here today.

I will update once I receive it if I have any more issues. In the mean time, do you have any more ideas that it could be?

As far as the fan running, if you are talking about the blower it does continue to run, but if you are talking about the inducer motor I'm honestly not sure. I will be able to find out more today.

Old 01-31-13, 12:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why are you replacing the inducer motor?

It sounds like you are mostly guessing about what the problem is.

The place to start is with a correct diagnosis of any problems.

The best way to do that is to take the cover off the burner compartment of the furnace and to carefully observe the sequence of events which occurs when the thermostat calls for heat. Describe that sequence in order and in detail here.

You want to do the same thing after the furnace has been off for several hours and you don't expect it to light up properly.

Once you understand the sequence of events when the furnace lights up properly, you will be able to understand where it stops in that sequence when it doesn't light.

Report that sequence to us as well.