Weil-MClain Oil Boiler - Cold Shower problem

Old 01-31-13, 02:25 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Weil-MClain Oil Boiler - Cold Shower problem

Hello:

I live in NJ and I have a Weil-MClain Oil Fer boiler gold with tankless water heater. We had our heater serviced by a technician which I am not so sure about after the fact.

Anyway, in order to take a shower, we go to our thermastat and turn it up 5 degrees. Then suddenly the water in the shower is hot. If you do not do these, the water is freezing cold, and sometimes gets hot the other half of the time.

Is it correct that I have to adjust the Aquastat Settings? So I should look and see if the high is 200 and the low should be 180? (I think Weil-Mc is 200 for the high standard)

I looked into getting an electric water heater system, but the consensus is that they dont work well and break often. I love oil, i just hate the shower. Even doing dishes the water is warm, perhaps my shower is on a different Zone altogether?

Do you think I need to call a service company again to replace something, like the mixing valve?

Thanks for the help in advance. My wife is ready to kill me because the shower always doesnt work properly.

Old 01-31-13, 02:45 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am going to try to set the differential tonight to 25 if it is set on 10, i have not looked yet.

Old 01-31-13, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Do you have a mixing valve? Take pics of the system.

Also joy down the settings. Should be 180 hi, like 150 lo. Diff say 20.

The coil may need to be cleaned. The aquastat could be faulty too.

Old 01-31-13, 07:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
In some boilers there is very poor natural mixing which I believe to be the root cause of your problem. Without the circulator running, the domestic coil is creating a cold spot in the boiler.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: