Ignition issue on Goodman furnace

Old 02-03-13, 12:33 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Ignition issue on Goodman furnace

My furnace stopped working on Thursday night. Mine is Goodman GMT 135-5 and it's been working fine for the last 10 years. I found everything works in order except the hot surface ignitor. I called around for the pros in local but they want $300 to $400 for just replacing the part so I've decided do it myself.

I replaced the HSI successfully but now the furnace not firing up. The inducer motor on and the HSI glows up in 12 seconds and the gas control valve on followed by hissy sound but no ignitions. The signal of one blinks is a failed ignition by the manual. I struggled with bleeding the gas line by loosening the flexible hose next to the cut off valve and it fired. I thought my fix was done by the bleeding but the furnace failed to fire up after a few hours. Now it's a intermittent problem and I can't figure out the cause. I tried bleeding in many ways and even hitting the gas control valve to check if it's sticky but it fires up intermittently without a pattern and I got confused. Sometimes it fires up on the third attempt right before a lock out without me doing anything.

I need your help. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 02-03-13, 06:16 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
It sounds like the HSI is not located correctly in front of the burners. Either that, or the HSI is not getting hot enough.

Old 02-03-13, 09:02 AM
B
Question

Thanks for your advice.

I didn't think that it's still possible to mislocate the HSI with using the right part and bracket. The HSI is glowing hot red every time. What should I do to test the either case?

I made it fire up with many resetting attempts last night but I still don't know what I did to make it work. This morning it worked fine after 6 hours automatically with the preset temperature setting. Usually it didn't work after a few hour break.

I assume I did something wrong since it happens after I replace the HSI unless some parts failed coincidentally with the time. I've been concentrated on air in the line so far. If that's the case is it this hard bleeding the line correctly?

Old 02-03-13, 09:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
Did you use a "universal" ignitor?

I have had bad luck with those.

Old 02-03-13, 09:41 AM
there is no "air in the line".......... did you use a "universal" hsi as houston asked? Check the voltage present to the hsi while it is glowing. It should be 120VAC. You would be surprised what a 1/16th of an inch or less of misalignment would do for ignition on some furnaces.

Old 02-03-13, 10:25 AM
B
Exclamation

Thanks for getting out of the air in the line factor. The idea was given by the licensed tech after I explained the symptom tough. I thought it was a make sensed idea and got stuck in it

I bought it from the Goodman Distributor and it's a mini conversion kit which they recommended. It's much narrower than the original one and much easier to install. I didn't know that little difference of misalignment could do misfiring. What should I do now?

Thanks much guys.

Old 02-03-13, 10:36 AM
alright, so you have the upgraded [h=3]0230K00001[/h]nitride ignitor from Goodman?....you might consider going back to the B1401018S original HSI

did you check voltage yet?

Old 02-03-13, 10:48 AM
B
You're right.

I haven't check the voltage yet cause not familiar with VAC. Can I just use my multimeter which I usually use for DC with the same setting?

Old 02-03-13, 10:54 AM
nope, it must be set for ac

Old 02-03-13, 12:41 PM
B
Thanks. I'll figure it out.

I feel much better now because of you guys. I feel like seeing the light house from total darkness.

It's warm right now in my area. I'll do the testing in the evening again.

Thanks again.

Old 02-03-13, 03:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
I have to agree about going back to the original style ignitor. As I recall, they were much wider than the ones in the retrofit kit.

Old 02-03-13, 05:47 PM
B
Since I am with you guys now I know what the cause is.

I manipulated the board which HSI is attached to make it closer to the burner by 1/16th of inch. It works so far and I'll keep watching it and report it to you.

If I can confirm that my issue is from the misalignment I'll take it off and manipulate the bracket. And I'm ordering the OEM one just in case of failure of the manipulation for back up. Do I still need to check the VAC?

Thanks.

Old 02-03-13, 10:08 PM
B
It's been working fine until the first kick in this evening. It failed again for 6 times straight. I checked the voltage of 118.3V on HSI and 24V on the gas control valve unit.

I thought I had to move the HSI closer to burner but maybe not. I moved it 1/8" away from burner and it fired right up after the gas hissing. I tested two more times to be sure but thing is when it works it works fine for many times. I'm gonna have to keep watching it again.

I hope the alignment is the solution.
Otherwise I have to try the original one.

It's a game of patience.

Old 02-04-13, 12:05 AM
B
It didn't work again. It's not the air or the alignment then it must be the HSI as you said.
I can't believe what it is. How could the Goodman Distributor recommend it for the upgrade?

I've ordered Packard IG 1121 anyway and that's my last hope.
Are there any other factors that I need to consider?

Old 02-04-13, 04:01 AM
The original part number is B1401018S. I think you bought an aftermarket HSI.........

Old 02-04-13, 08:44 AM
B
I know but it's the exact replacement.
With this replacement we'll see if my issue is from the HSI unit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: